sammi_lynn12

Songster
Sep 14, 2022
Grovertown, IN
I just added a rooster to our flock today. He has been fine with them all day until tonight. This is the first time I allowed him on the roosting bar with them and from the time it took to let the horses in and then go back and check on them there was blood dripping down the roosting bar. I looked at all the girls and didn’t see anything but did physically see him peck one of the hens foot next to him before I picked him up and put him in the crate he’s been staying in at night.

Will he get better about this? Is this to be expected?

It hurts my heart that he did this and drew blood on one of them because I have had no squabbles or anything within my flock. I want to make sure this is to be expected and will get better soon because if not, he will have to go.

What we think is plenty of roost space and what the chickens think are 2 different things. Good you are putting in another roost. I have also installed improvised roost dividers, they seem to appreciate them. No more roost battles….
9FD8451C-0854-445A-82FB-FDEE3D1BEAC9.jpeg BC31BAAB-017C-4986-B9BA-6ED8E3B6203A.jpeg

He is 7 months old. Our coop is 8x8 and the roosting bar goes all the way across so it’s 8 feet long. 6 hens and one rooster.
He's not too young but might not be quite mature yet.
How old are your hens?
What kind of situation/flock did he come from?

Agrees a 2nd roost might be a good idea and space it a couple feet away from the other,
or maybe at right angles for more options.

We added the roosting bar tonight so there is plenty of room. He got up there and pecked at a few of them because apparently he wants a certain spot lol they jumped off and moved to the other end and he’s happy. He’s sitting at one end and all the girls huddled up on the other end of an additional roosting bar. Fingers crossed everyone gets along tonight!

So he's older than your pullets, not best, but here he is. And while many articles talk about 1' per bird for roost space, IMO that's way too tight. At least one more roost, as mentioned, you really can't have too much roost space!
Hope he works out for your flock, it's always a question with cockerels, how they will behave as they mature.
Mary

Hard to say if it is a problem or a coincidental injury.
If you can't find the source of blood and didn't see the peck he gave draw blood, I'd not worry about it.

I have found occasional blood spatter in the coop and roost,
sometimes it's rather alarming but rarely found the actual wound or any obvious source/cause of contention.
I picked them all up and checked their legs, feet, and face. There was no open wounds so it must of been under their feathers somewhere. It was a few droplets of blood on the bar but it was just shocking to see when I went back in there to check on them. He was not being malicious at all about it so I am trying not to be mad at him for it. I understand he wants his space but I don't like to see my girls hurt and they have always roosted together just fine. Maybe in time he will allow them to roost closer to him once he is more comfortable with his new home. We are definitely adding another roosting bar tonight, at least 6-8 feet long along with their current 7-8 foot long roosting bar. I am hoping everyone will find a spot with enough room to be comfortable!

Back
Top Bottom