Rooster attacked 2-year old

I'm so sorry to the OP that this happened to their child. It must have been very scary for everyone involved.

I'm hoping that everyone who reads this thread will understand a universal truth: No small children should ever be allowed to interact with animals without close supervision. Any animal. Adult humans tend to really forget how much animal psychology is dependant on size and dominance. A toddler has neither in their favor, and animals do not operate by a moral code.

Even the family dog could get tired of a loud infant pulling on it's ears enough to bite. I know because it happened to me when I was small. And I never EVER forgot to respect animals afterwards. Nor did I blame our dog, she was the sweetest thing in the world.

"Re-homing" The problem with giving away a nasty rooster is that the next person is reasonably likely to breed with him, and so the trait often gets spread around and around.
Also agree 100% that small children, because of the herky jerky movements often bring out behaviors in animals and particularly should never be allowed near roosters, especially those with hens.

A rooster isn't necessarily sent to death row, just because he is a rooster, ie, protecting his hens, etc. But those who are generally nasty roosters, habitually human aggressive? These should be dispatched, the quicker the better, and never given/sold to someone else. Just my $.02. as always, YMMV.

Hoping the little one gets well soon.

Last edited:
Same thing happened to my daughter when she was about 4yrs old. She got one good scratch starting from the right side of her forehead across down to the left side of her nostril. It looked horrific. I put neosporen on it until it became a scar. Then vitamin E 3 times a day for months. Not a scar in sight.

Needless to say that rooster was dinner.

I always tell my kids not to chase the roosters. I have a few cockerels just hitting maturity. They will be going to Camp Siberia soon... Well anyway, I always tell them no to chase them, not to threaten them because they may attack. I tell them too, that just because my silkie Roger is little, doesn't mean that he won't get a tickle in his craw and attack them. After my oldest was attacked by the neighbors roo, he finally understands. Me on the other hand, I don't bother kicking the rooster repeatedly. I chase their fuzzy behinds all over the yard with my arms out wide. They learn quick that I am the boss. I also cull as soon as maturity hits so I don't have problems.

As for the little boy, I am so sorry he got hurt bad enough to require a night in the hospital. That is just so awful and sad. I hope he makes a full recovery. As PP said, use the vit E oil as soon as the wounds heal to lessen, eliminate scars.
hugs.gif

1 year old Barred rock, raised free-range with a family teeming with kids and a dog, out of the blue pounced on and mauled my 2.5 year-old, absent obvious provocation (aside from being rooster-height and near the coop). 

Collecting eggs from coop, son was nearby, usual egg procedure. He was wearing blue, Rooster went for the face, 5-10 seconds before I could separate them, and after 10 hours at a children's hospital, he looks like he went through a windshield. 

My first thought for the bird was FREEZER CAMP or perhaps VULTURE GROVE. Overnight in the hospital tempered my fury, and in the interest of teaching first mercy, but also an understanding of ANIMAL behavior, I explained the attack to the older kids and decided to spare the vicious, swift and frighteningly dangerous little bird his life. He's off to a nearby farm without kids. 

The point is, even if you have a tame and friendly rooster (carry him or hug him or whatever else people recommend to keep the birds from being fearful or agressive), of tame and gentle breed, they will attack if they perceive a threat and will not discriminate. Little kids (and I'd assume small pets such as little yappy dogs) can be perceived as threats and are not tall or fast enough to fend them off. The bird is protecting his flock without regard to race, creed or gender. Even my booted foot would not deter this bird once he started attacking, and only a blow with a handy stick (which stunned the bird) put him off long enough to collect the poor child.

If you have a rooster and he's not aggressive toward you or others, do NOT assume that he'll be OK with a child or other small creature. They are great at protecting a flock of hens because they will fight bitterly and are remarkably well-armed. I hope that this tragedy for my
family might be instructive for others. 
Thank you for sharing the horrible ordeal your son went threw.I hope he recovers swiftly.My daughter is 2,i would have never thought of a roo doing that.You see i am fairly new to chickens.Thanks to you sharing your familys nightmare i know to keep my daughters far far away from them.

Back
Top Bottom