Rooster attacked baby duckling.

savvychickz

Songster
Jan 25, 2019
I know this isn’t chicken related but a couple minutes ago my EE rooster who’s under a year, came up and attacked one of my baby pekin ducklings, he got him on the head and neck and his neck is bleeding. What can I do? Or will the duckling just eventually die?

Attachments

• 7535F275-D540-4D8A-82A3-7D949C349AF5.jpeg
    7535F275-D540-4D8A-82A3-7D949C349AF5.jpeg
    368.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 765B0C7E-8661-4CFA-A1D1-A2B08E7442B6.jpeg
    765B0C7E-8661-4CFA-A1D1-A2B08E7442B6.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 8
That wound looks very recoverable. Clearly though you will need to separate the duckling (and honestly any others and maybe chicks as well) from the Roo. Lastly, I have rarely seen a Roo attack chicks (of any kind) before. You may want to keep a close eye on him... that's not very becoming of him.

That wound looks very recoverable. Clearly though you will need to separate the duckling (and honestly any others and maybe chicks as well) from the Roo. Lastly, I have rarely seen a Roo attack chicks (of any kind) before. You may want to keep a close eye on him... that's not very becoming of him.
Oh yes definitely, the ducklings are usually inside we just took them outside for some fresh air and he came over and started being mean. The rooster only does this with ducklings, chicks he watches over. I don’t know what his problem is.

Oh yes definitely, the ducklings are usually inside we just took them outside for some fresh air and he came over and started being mean. The rooster only does this with ducklings, chicks he watches over. I don’t know what his problem is.

Different animal, so makes sense.

Either way, that duckling looks like it can be saved rather easy unless the wound is deeper than can be seen in the image and has penetrated deep into the neck. I'd put some neosporin on it for the short term until someone who has rehabbed ducklings can comment. That will at least stave off infection and I have used it on many of my chicks successfully.

Different animal, so makes sense.

Either way, that duckling looks like it can be saved rather easy unless the wound is deeper than can be seen in the image and has penetrated deep into the neck. I'd put some neosporin on it for the short term until someone who has rehabbed ducklings can comment. That will at least stave off infection and I have used it on many of my chicks successfully.
Nope doesn’t really look that deep, I only see a piece of skin missing and the bleeding has stopped. He is still moving around and grooming himself, i’ll put Neosporin on the wound now, thank you!

After initial clean up, I would leave the wound alone. Looks like maybe some broken blood feathers or a fairly superficial wound. It should recover nicely, as long as it's receiving proper feed.

:fl

Agreed. The neosporin is a one-time thing to try to help with a potential infection while the wound s gaping. After that it becomes a detriment to proper healing. So let it just go at this point unless it stays wide open. Looks like your little duckling got away from this one with one heck of a scare... !

Back
Top Bottom