Rooster Attacked by Fox! Need Advice ASAP

I have been following this story and I am praying that this boy survives. I never realized that a chicken can be so tough!
It seems like you are doing all the right things for him. Keep up the good work.
And please keep us posted.

My silkie rooster was attacked by a fox at dusk last night around 8pm. He was just going into the coop when he charged at a fox to protect his hens. The fox snagged him and took off with him in the woods. My partner screamed that a fox took off with the rooster and we let the dogs out and took off after him. We followed the trail of feathers through all the thorns, the dogs blew way ahead of us, scaring the fox enough to where he dropped the rooster on the trail. We approached the roo and he was limp, seemingly dead but we believe it was shock. He opened his eyes and responded to our voices so we picked him up and ran with him back to the house, wrapped him up, cleaned his wounds and dressed them and placed him in a box in a warm, dark room in the house. I immediately administered electrolytes and continued to do so every 30 min until around 2 am. When I woke this morning, he was responsive to the light coming on and to my voice but he really cant hold his head up much. I'm hoping it's just swelling causing him to keep his head low. He will hold his head up and look around when startled so I do not think his neck is severely injured (at least I hope not). He had a pretty severe gash on his back, wide open that I cleaned out... skin was ripped open, showing the tissue. It wasnt bleeding too bad. Also appears to have another bite near his breast but no deep puncture wound there. Lots of feathers missing. No wheezing or trouble breathing although it was rapid last night. He is pooping normal poops and today I gave him a little sugar water and pumpkin baby food because he cant really eat due to not having strength to hold his neck up, but hes willingly taking water and soft food from the syringe. I want to redress the wounds today and double check them. I tried calling vets but no one takes in chickens or knows anything about them in my area. The feed store is closed today and the only antibiotic I have on hand is Penicillin VK 500mg for humans, which is supposedly good for animal bites or skin infections. Could this be crushed and added to water? And if so, does anyone know the dosage? Thanks in advance for any info. I'll try to get pics when I redress the wound today.
I don't know from my own experience, however I do suggest looking at poultrypedia.com. penvk dose for injuries.

You are doing a great job, keep it up. As for your question (other thread) about bruising or pus under the skin, I agree with @FeatheredFriends&Horses2, I think there is only one small possible area.

Any new pictures of the wound on his back?

It's good his activity is up, and that his appetite has returned. Also very good that there is no sign of infection.

There are obviously some chickens that can heal without antibiotics, but I definitely feel that the penicillin injections are making a big difference with your rooster. Not everybody has access to or can work up the courage to do such. A lot of chickens die I think because the wound gets infected, maybe spreads to the bloodstream and causes septicemia.

So good job on everything, keep us updated of course! Hoping he pulls through.

The swelling has gone down a bit more on his neck and because of that, I'm actually able to see that the yellow is more of a bruise. If it were pus, wouldn't it be a pocket? His skin is very tight on his neck from the swelling but I can tell it has somewhat subsided because I'm seeing some wrinkles now, as if the swelling has gone down some. It's really hard for me to notice since I'm around him all the time but my partner does notice it's looking a tiny bit smaller.

I have been following this story and I am praying that this boy survives. I never realized that a chicken can be so tough!
It seems like you are doing all the right things for him. Keep up the good work.
And please keep us posted.

I had no idea either 😅 and I grew up with chickens! I've seen some tough chickens on here though!

I've attached some pics of Arnies wounds today (with the flash on so it may look extra gross).
20200524_160306.jpg
20200524_160314.jpg
I literally just finished cleaning them so he is wet in these pictures and there is no neosporin just to show what it looks like without it. Does he have a chance at healing? I feel so bad for him but do not want him to suffer. He is walking around now and trying to hold his head up, which he can do- just not for long. That's a significant improvement. He is eating solids now and will eat on his own if I put a dish of food in his box. I guess I'm just nervous his neck will not ever be straight again. It's very crooked and hangs but when I compare the width of his neck to my hens, his is gigantic from the swelling. I'm honestly surprised he can eat, drink and vocalize. Oh, and that... he vocalized a couple days ago for the first time.

I do have some steri strips but is it too late for those? I thought putting one on in the center of the wound would maybe help it heal better? The size of his back wound just makes me feel like it will have a very hard time healing open like that. What signs should I look for that it is healing?

Maybe I’m crazy, but I think he looks a little better. That wound will take long to heal, but it looks clean and the tissue looks decent.
The neck swelling going down sounds like a big improvement.
Keep up the great care, I think it’s working.

The swelling has gone down a bit more on his neck and because of that, I'm actually able to see that the yellow is more of a bruise. If it were pus, wouldn't it be a pocket? His skin is very tight on his neck from the swelling but I can tell it has somewhat subsided because I'm seeing some wrinkles now, as if the swelling has gone down some. It's really hard for me to notice since I'm around him all the time but my partner does notice it's looking a tiny bit smaller.
I've attached some pics of Arnies wounds today (with the flash on so it may look extra gross).View attachment 2157746View attachment 2157747 I literally just finished cleaning them so he is wet in these pictures and there is no neosporin just to show what it looks like without it. Does he have a chance at healing? I feel so bad for him but do not want him to suffer. He is walking around now and trying to hold his head up, which he can do- just not for long. That's a significant improvement. He is eating solids now and will eat on his own if I put a dish of food in his box. I guess I'm just nervous his neck will not ever be straight again. It's very crooked and hangs but when I compare the width of his neck to my hens, his is gigantic from the swelling. I'm honestly surprised he can eat, drink and vocalize. Oh, and that... he vocalized a couple days ago for the first time.

I do have some steri strips but is it too late for those? I thought putting one on in the center of the wound would maybe help it heal better? The size of his back wound just makes me feel like it will have a very hard time healing open like that. What signs should I look for that it is healing?
Oh and this one of him standing up, just because 🤗View attachment 2157750
I'm glad he's feeling better! I don't think I can help anymore, but maybe someone else can.

@casportpony, @Wyorp Rock, what do you think this guy's prospects are?

Glad the swelling went down somewhat.

Back
Top Bottom