Rooster attacked by puppy - in shock - what do I do?

OK, now he’s calming down, seems mostly ok, and is happily back to his girls and back to his normal activity, you’ve got a puppy issue to deal with.

When I had chicks and dogs, the older dog was a Cocker Spaniel who, when the chicks got able to get out of their first warm box, and started spilling out onto the back porch, he thought it was his job to pick them up in his soft mouth and put them back into their ‘home’. (he did this with the two litters of kittens we had too… the mama cats knew he was helping and always gave him a thank-you bump when he brought their babies home to them) We lost only one chick after they got this big, so I’d say it was not harmful, but I wouldn’t advise such a thing normally, it just happened at the time and once we saw what he was doing and why, we got a bigger box for them asap.

Now, of course this was a losing proposition after a while since they just continued to get out and he very nearly wore himself out trying to keep them in their box. He was gentle with them later when they grew bigger and they always accepted him near the coop.

The young dog, did originally think that chickens looked like fun though. We taught him by putting him on a leash, walking him near the coop, and repeatedly, repeatedly, repeatedly correcting him if he lunged or got excited when the hens either dashed off or flapped, fluffed, squawked or any of the other things hens do.

We too had N.H. Reds and R.I. Reds too, and our roosters might tolerate the Cocker quite happily, but the young dog was always watched with suspicion and rushed him if he even looked too interested in their girls. I have to admit, that in the early stages, if a roo got aggressive with the year-ish old dog, I let them scare him but good. (this was years ago and dog died of old age long ago so don’t report me for dog cruelty!)

Unfortunately, i now have a puppy who will not touch or even look at a chicken in my presence, but left alone, she kills them. Mr Rooster broke out of our run and we found him in her mouth dead. Then Mr Rooster TWO got out today and, well, he didnt make it either. I am left with no good rooster stock and we are hoping one of the girls will sit the 12 eggs in the coop since the Rod the white rock who bit it today was a strong rooster. I guess I should have trained Rod to be meaner.

The puppy is in training courses, and the trainer says she is just be too young to outlearn her kill instinct, so now the chickens and the puppy are in confinement. I only let one or the others out under supervision. Upon reading up, her German Shepherd roots might be part of the problem. Hopefully in a year or two, we will be able to break her of the habit and let our free range chickens really roam wherever they like. Until then both chickens and dog are on an excersize schedule.

Getting ready to build a larger chicken run...
sad.png
sad.png

I am sad to hear that after the first incident the situation wasn't controlled to prevent another incident. And now 2 birds have died
sad.png

JJ

Training "Rod" to be meaner was not going to protect him against a dog. And the puppy, even with training, will likely not ever be able to be in the same space as your rooster. How can you be surprised at what happened? Your puppy now has a taste for chickens that will probably never go away. I would not sell a rooster to you at this point, unless you had very clear plans for how to protect it.

Last edited:
Thank you for your words of encouragement. You've obviously never had an animal break through your fencining. Best of luck y'all.

Quote:
Get a new trainer.

Quote:
We raised and trained german shephards my entire childhood and NEVER had one go after a chicken or any other fowl. They looked at them and walked on by...including the puppies. Our chickens free-ranged 24/7.

Good luck with your pup.

Back
Top Bottom