rooster attacked chick

Pics
View attachment 2560921
say bye to garbanzo everyone, and thank you for everyone who helped on this thread. <3
I'm very sorry.
I know it's been a hard decision to make. You get attached to these little ones quickly.
I understand it wasn't easy and you will feel sad, but he's no longer in pain:hugs

What plans have you come up with for housing your other youngsters?

What plans have you come up with for housing your other youngsters?
im gonna build them those dome pens, make it spacey for a rooster, maybe i’ll think about getting them a hen so they won’t be too lonely but i wouldn’t want the hens to get over mated so i’ll have to look into that. I was thinking about designated days for when each of them can go out and roam around the yard freely but i don’t want the others to be cooped up waiting for their turn so i’ll probably build each their own little fenced area.

im gonna build them those dome pens, make it spacey for a rooster, maybe i’ll think about getting them a hen so they won’t be too lonely but i wouldn’t want the hens to get over mated so i’ll have to look into that. I was thinking about designated days for when each of them can go out and roam around the yard freely but i don’t want the others to be cooped up waiting for their turn so i’ll probably build each their own little fenced area.
Sounds like a pretty good plan!
I would caution you, even if not full Gamefowl if you have one running loose you may risk pen/fence fighting. They find each other and it doesn't matter if one is fenced in or not.
Domes are commonly used. A fenced in area of their own sounds nice too, just make sure they can't go over it and they are spaced far enough apart that they don't fight at the fence.
Another option is to use tie outs, this can give the roosters a change that they need.
For me, I want to be around when I tie a rooster out since they are vulnerable to predators so something to keep in mind.

A lot of people keep 1-2 hens with a rooster in the domes and have no issues. I keep a pair in a run and so far no problems. Like anything, you want to try to observe and make changes when needed.

you may risk pen/fence fighting. They find each other and it doesn't matter if one is fenced in or not.
if i do fences i plan on surrounding the fence with like a bamboo cover thing i have and they aren’t able to see each other, as for the top i plan on covering it with something since i sometimes see big birds circling around my house & it’s pretty easy to lift crickets- the tiny rooster + the sun.
Another option is to use tie outs, this can give the roosters a change that they need.
tie outs..?
A lot of people keep 1-2 hens with a rooster in the domes and have no issues.
i’ll look into getting them a buddy

if i do fences i plan on surrounding the fence with like a bamboo cover thing i have and they aren’t able to see each other, as for the top i plan on covering it with something since i sometimes see big birds circling around my house & it’s pretty easy to lift crickets- the tiny rooster + the sun.

tie outs..?

i’ll look into getting them a buddy
As long as they can't see each other or get to the fence the other is in, you should be good. I learned the hard way, I thought I had it all blocked off, but my fence blocking had just a small gap where 2 stags could see eye to eye (maybe 2-3"). Thankfully I was home and stopped it pretty quick but still ended up with busted spurs and cut up feet that needed tending for a while. I check my blocking very regularly and makes changes immediately when I see anything of concern.
Tie Outs, you can order those online from like Ebay, Woods, etc. you "tie" your rooster out so he can have a break from his pen, etc. I do sort of stick around since he would be vulnerable to predators.

1615302895171.png

Back
Top Bottom