Rooster attacked Grandson

Invite him to dinner.

In this picture he is glaring while lowering his right shoulder towards the person taking the photo and lifting his left shoulder, which is a clear threatening behaviour.
I call that rooster position "the cape." When my rooster does that, he looks like a bull-fighter with a cape ready to flap a bull with. Of course I pin him down whenever he does that.

Every time I read a post about roosters attacking kids, I wonder what my parents were thinking.

We had a pair of black roosters who would attack me Every Single Day when I got off the school bus. As far as I know, Heckle and Jeckle suffered no consequences for their actions.

But, I learned a lot of evasive maneuvers. One other thing I learned was not to expect every animal to be my friend.

I currently have an incredibly beautiful and obnoxious Cochin Bantam rooster with anger management issues. He is not allowed to free range with the others and permanently lives in a coop and run with two hens whose previous room mate was a full-sized Iowa Blue rooster. The girls can hold their own with him. It's my compromise because I can't rehome him, and I can't kill him.
I had similar experiences with roosters when I was a kid. My grandpa plus several other farms around had lots of laying hens and roosters to keep their flocks going. Had to learn to be careful and how to defend myself whenever doing chores. But for a smaller backyard flock unless you really need a rooster it might not be best with younger kids around.

Nothing should attack your grandson, especially a rooster. Be an entirely different story if it was a dog 🤔
I agree. Rooster grabbed my dog by the scruff of his neck last week. I took it as he thought my 9 pound dog who always walks around the coop with me was a threat to the hens... so I didnt do anything then. I should have.

I had similar experiences with roosters when I was a kid. My grandpa plus several other farms around had lots of laying hens and roosters to keep their flocks going. Had to learn to be careful and how to defend myself whenever doing chores. But for a smaller backyard flock unless you really need a rooster it might not be best with younger kids around.
I agree, I had to evade a satanic RIR rooster when I was a kid. The demon lived out his life just fine. I have never had a RIR chicken because of it! I don't need this BCM either.

Back
Top Bottom