Rooster attacked Grandson

That’s what I believe.

I have received multiple “man fighter” roosters and bred them. Their offspring, grand offspring, great offspring, ect. don’t exhibit the trait when raised on my farm. If sent off farm as hatching eggs, they may become “man fighters.” The common denominator seems to be artificial incubation and close coddling in early chickhood. On my farm, they’re either hen raised or (if artificially incubated) hatched in a dark barn where I only interact with the new chicks behind a flash light. I make myself an object of fear instead of comfort to them. Then later they begin to associate me as the bringer of sustenance, but I’m never a mother to them.

In artificial incubation, degrees of presence, contact, and handling vary between people and batches of chicks. Furthermore, the imprinting instinct is stronger or weaker between breeds and individuals. I think all of these variables contribute to the apparent randomness of when roosters grow into being man fighters. It appears random because the variables make imprinting sporadic. But I have little doubt imprinting is the cause. In birds less domesticated than chickens, such as heritage domestic turkeys, imprinting is much more obvious and predictable, resulting in gobblers that want to fight humans and hens that want to be bred by humans.
Imprinting puts them as on a par with you. Subject to their laws. Yes?

3mo Belgian game cockerel that I hatched. He follows me around like a lost puppy and jumped up in my lap on his own and took a nap. I also have a hen that imprinted on me and she brings her chicks to me 1st day off the nest when she hatches a clutch.
Friendliness doesn’t mean he’s imprinted. It may just mean he’s friendly. Imprinting means he thinks you and he are the same species based on your image being programed into his brain at or shortly after hatching. And that’s what you don’t want. Because when it comes time to breed, he’s either going to see you as a mate or a rival. Usually its a rival. I hope he’s just friendly. Oriental gamefowl, of which a significant part of the Liege’s genetics are made of, are especially easy to tame up. For thousands of years they’ve been hand pets in between trips to the fight pit. That friendliness isn’t imprinting.

Imprinting puts them as on a par with you. Subject to their laws. Yes?
I honestly don't know. I treat them like Im part of the flock regardless. I know I've never had a problem out of it. When they start trying to mount hens I treat them like I'm the head rooster and give them a light broadside of my boot. Nowhere near enough to hurt just enough to knock them off and treat them like any other bird in my flock when they aren't trying to mount a hen infront of me. If I happen to find a treat in the yard I'll toss it to a rooster when the hens aren't looking and let him tidbit.

The one in the picture, his great grandfather was one of 3 online hatching eggs to hatch and acted just like him. My experience with Liege is they are really slow to develop (depending on the breeder) and stay in that friendly 2-3mo chick stage for most of the 1st year. After about 6mo they start not wanting to be petted but even at 2yo still wanted to plop down by me in the shade and watch the yard. Pretty much just a big puppy with feathers.

I agree, I had to evade a satanic RIR rooster when I was a kid. The demon lived out his life just fine. I have never had a RIR chicken because of it! I don't need this BCM either.
The RIR roosters can often be jerks that's true, but I have 9 RIR hens and they are super nice and friendly even around kids. It was white leghorn roosters that gave me trouble as a kid. I get it, I'm not fond of that breed for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom