marshmellow

In the Brooder
10 Years
11 Years
Jan 24, 2009
Hi everyone,

I am a long time reader first time poster
wink.png
I have a little flock of 6 girls and 1 rooster. He is a buff orp (bantam)
they are all around 10 -12 weeks old.

I have one Barred Rock who is about 18 - 20 weeks old and has been hiding in wood piles at times could she be laying in there?

All the Hens behave more like dogs then chickens following me around and eating treats from my hand. Mr. Rooster wants none of that and will never take a treat from me.

He has always been a bit assertive and recently has begun pulling the one of the girls around in a mean way by the feathers on her head - well I guessed that was just part of he's mating dance. Then today I was leaning in to the coop for something (they were free ranging) when I feel my heel being pecked and he is kicking up a racket and pulling on my pant leg. He's feathers were all ruffled and he was puffing up his chest. He was mad!

It was pretty funny from my perspective but I am wondering what I could do to show him that I am not a threat and have him trust me like my girls ?

Thanks!

BTW love this forum!!!

You have to let him know who is boss.

It won't mean he will hate you (unless you are really cruel to him). Chickens have this pecking order thing going on. You, the dog, cat, neighborhood squirrel, etc. all have to fit in there somewhere.

If you are assertive - you will probably gain not only their respect but the birds may be calmer just to have you around.

Your job is to be #1. And if you aren't #1, he will be.

Steve

First of all,
wav_l-r.gif
WELCOME!!!

Second of all, the hen that's hanging out in the wood pile is almost certainly laying her eggs out there. She's doing what instinct tells her to do which is protect her eggs from everyone, including you.

Third, yep, look at Rooster-Red's suggestions, holding them up etc usually convinces them that since you are able to hold them UP leaving their feet dangling helplessly means you are too tough to challenge. A veritable chicken god. I've done it accidentally because I like picking up the birds and petting them and such, so I guess they just got that idea without either of us knowing what was going on.

The other thing that's worked for me with young ones, is gently ... well, sort of gently, and VERY firmly, pushing them -down- at the neck/shoulders forcing them into the -submissive- role of a hen or what an older roo does over a younger roo, something they do before they start into the -fighting stance- Sounds like yours is just starting to get all macho with you and that might work too.

Good luck and enjoy your stay here!!

[edit] Also wanted to say that kicking them (within reason of course) is an emergency response really, keeps their spurs away from you in the moment. It doesn't seem to work in the long run for me though. All circumstances and roos are different though!!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom