Rooster Attacked me today!

Quote:
I actually have 3 more hens from the pair but are in a different pens.

First Pen I only have 1 hen and the aggressive boy. The boy won't let me add anymore chickens. He goes in attack mode if any new chickens are added. Pretty sure he'll kill them. The female from this pen gets along well with all the other chickens.

The second Pen I have 4 Japanese Bantams: 3 hens 1 roo, 3 three month old Hens Egg layers, 3 two month roos.

All the chickens except the Bantams are incubated eggs from the hen and aggressive male. The 3 young roos I will need to re-home them or fatten them up. I'm now using the Bantam Hens to sit on the eggs. Works well.

Quote:
Today I picked him up. He was totally fine. When I carry him I lay him in my hand on his side and he stops moving I can carry him for as long as I want to like a waiters tray and he won't move an inch it's so funny. He goes into a trance or something.

He does sound like a sweetie when he wants to be. Maybe he really did just have a bad day. I hope it doesn't happen again and your sweet boy makes a permanant return!

Quote:
Yeah he's actually a great roo. That's why it was such a shock when he went nuts on me. I really wish I could add more chickens into his pen but he really hates new chickens. His eyes turn to fire and his spurs turn to knives. He seems happy to have only one hen.

I can totally relate! I am one of those types that if a roo attacks, he's soup!

However, my alpha roo who has NEVER even looked at me, hubby, or the kids in a wrong way or even considered spurring us ever had 1 day just like you're describing. Only difference is my roo is sweet to any and all girls that are around him--protects them immediately unlike yours. Anyway, for some reason, he tried to spur me! So I kicked him back and when he was just grasping the fact that I kicked him back, I did it again just to make sure he KNEW it was intentional. And I was worried that he would try it again (his spurs are about 2") but he hasn't, knock on wood. However, if he does, although it would be incredibly sad, he would be soup.

So although I feel if a roo attacks, he should be dealt with but now after my alpha doing that, I think that they can have an off day (which is unacceptable) but..........it's a tough call. I hope he behaves from now on for ya. But he seems just like a nasty roo anyway, it might not be worth the puncture wounds when his spurs are longer and sharper.

Theres two ways you can deal with an aggressive roo either cull it or put up with it lol.....I usually put up with it but I know how to deal with it...I NEVER let an aggressive roo out if its kids running around..

I have 3 roosters. 1 is the sweetest rooster. He is 1 yr old and a RIR. He is awesome with his hens. I have 1 minorca 1 yrs old. He loves me and woman but he hates men. He has never been abused. But he hates them with a passion. He has got my DH a couple times. The last time he got him in the behind. The only reason here is still here is because I love him so. He is great with his hens and lets me hold him and carry him around. My 3rd rooster is also 1 and a RIR. Most days he is great and other days he hates me. I never run from him so him and I have come to a meeting of the minds quite a few times. But he loves my DH. He loves his girls too but they do not listen to him. He does not have the control over them the other 2 do. I think it is because at one time we had all 3 roo's together and he was the bottom of the totem pole. And he is learning. Good luck with your's. Oh I never let mine out when their are children around. I figure it is better to be safe than sorry.

You mentioned you wore jeans when you normally wear shorts?

That MIGHT have been what set him off... he didn't "recognize" you as you. I know when I have gone to my run to see the Ladies, Mercedes <head hen> will many times herd the girls back in the coop when I come out there wearing something different than my normal look. I think it's cos she isn't sure who I am lol After a few minutes tho she realizes its me and all is right in the world.

I wore a hat the one time going out there and none of them would come out of the coop. When I took it off, they came out. I put it back on and they all ran back inside. I had never worn a hat out there before, so I think when I put it on I lost the familiarity and became "Thing that might eat me so I better get inside to safety"

Hi Andy also from Thailand What kind of Chicken is he ? I think he is taking care of the hens and sees you taking the eggs every day that or he is just a nasty old thing and yes he will get worse. I have a Leghorn cock here in Thailand that gets everyone the only reason he is not in the pot is leghorns are like finding gold in Thailand but his offspring are coming along now so I think he has about 3 months left before he is in a masaman gai curry.

Back
Top Bottom