Rooster attacking baby goats - negotiating a "cease fire" updated 6/8

Squirrelgirl88

Songster
9 Years
May 3, 2011
Central Ohio
We brought home our Nigerian Dwarf babies today - 8 weeks old. Our rooster is attacking them. They are not approaching him, just standing within 6 feet seems to be enough to set him off. Has anyone had a rooster that "outgrows" his aggressive behavior? I'm hoping that once the babies get bigger he will leave them alone, or he'll get bored with chasing them and jumping on their backs. If he continues, I'll have to trim his spurs before he really hurts them. The next step is Cordon Bleu!

Last edited:
The goats are new and the rooster does not know that they are not a threat. Can you keep the goats and chickens separate for a while until the goats are older and he has had a chance to learn they are not a threat?

Your roo thinks he is doing his job as a protector. Keep your goats safe and hopefully he will get used to them being around. Trimming his spurs may be a good idea.
wink.png

young roo? acting like a teenager? he may mellow out. and every day that goes by he will realize that the goats are just part of the landscape.

He is about 1 1/2 years old. He better figure out soon, cause he's about run out of second chances. The girls were asleep in their stall and he went in after them - now there is no threat factor there.
somad.gif
He was raised around goats, so this behavior is really confusing us.

The goats are terrified. Everytime he comes anywhere near them they run. He also came after me this morning when I went to let them out for the day. What a grumpy butt!

Alright - he has about to wear out his welcome. He attacked me this morning again as I was feeding the babies. He is chasing them into a stall, and then going in after them and chasing them out. He chases them and attacks at every opportunity. The babies hide in the corners of the fenced area, and then he leaves them alone.

I really don't want to get rid of him, he protects the hens. But I don't want to fight my way into the barn every morning either.
sad.png

Any suggestions?

My suggestion - process the roo.

I have Nigerian Dwarf goats and they are really sweet. If he continues to be mean, he may cause them to stress out and become ill. They may not get enough food/water and get sick or they just may fear leaving the barn. I have one that was scared by a neighbors dog when she was a kid and she is 3 years old and still is cautious about leaving the barn. It's sad. She'd rather hang her head out the cat door and snack than go outside in the sun.
sad.png
Don't let your rooster do that to your new kids.

IMO - the roo needs to go. At his age, I believe you said a year and half, aggressive behavior toward other animals will not stop.

Our extra roos are pastured with our goats and horses. Always have been.

Our goats are kidding now. We have a LOT of new babies. A 1 yr old rooster that has never bothered any of our new kids or the adult goats suddenly started attacking a day old kid. We do not know why.

He did quite a bit of damage to the goat. Most of the damage was from his toes curled into claws and his beak. His spurs were still nubby and not long or sharp. We processed the roo after spending several hours out with him watching and trying to stop him. I am not willing to have a rooster attack other animals, so I made the decision that was best for us.

You may be able to find a sweet rooster for your girls. Our roo in with the girls (separate area of the pasture) is a big sweetie and does very well with his ladies.

I definately would NOT tolerate a rooster chasing or attempting to attack me.

There are methods that some use to try to calm an aggressive rooster (holding & carrying him around for one). This did not work with our attack rooster. But if you do not want to get rid of yours, that may be an option to try.

DD has an aggressive OEG roo - he flogged everyone and anyone. After him attacking my legs 3 times in less than an hour, and him following me around an acre of land the whole time trying to hit me more, I did a Tiger Woods swing on him with a broom stick. He is no longer aggressive and, yes, he is still alive.

Last edited:
Even though I can't keep roosters, I do have a plan in place for the eventuality that I may one day have my own roos.. There are too many nice roos needing a home and a harem to put up with a mean one.

Back
Top Bottom