Rooster attacking despite some advices followed

Pics
Choices are:
1. accept the aggressiveness, kids not allowed in the yard.
2. Fricassee the fool, as in cull him out permanently
3. Teach him to respect humans.

That last one is where many people go off the rails. Roosters understand dominance. Let them think they are boss and they will harass you mercilessly. Prove to them that they are NOT boss and they will respect the boundaries. The only way I've been consistently able to show them I am boss is by knocking them down and then hitting them until they get up and run from me. The key is that they must run from you. At that point, they have accepted that you are dominant. Some roosters can be trained by gentler means. Others can only be trained by the knock em down and hit them until they run measure. It sounds vicious. In a way it is. The alternative is either accept the floggings or fricassee the fool. I'm not putting up with a rooster that prevents children from playing in the yard and I don't like fricasseeing a rooster I have planned for breeding. Better to teach him to respect me.

Thats def an option. I have put up an ad on a local facebook page to anyone who wants him either to keep for breeding or for meat with full behaviour disclosure (i wouldn't mind if there wasn't children around to keep him). Its been a day with no response yet on FB so I'm guessing ill need to try advertise elsewhere before making the final cull decision but ill give it a couple of days.

I do 100% agree with you. One way or another its going to come with the territory of keeping them! I guess I'm just too soft. I always had them as pets rather than for food / eggs. Apart of the family. If I can find someone local to help guide me during the culling process in person then I would probably be a lot more comfortable doing it myself. Last option is to pay for Euthanize at a Vet that will do it. Although that costs but also wastes the meat since it cannot be eaten after that.
I find that pinning a dominant rooster does more damage then it does help. With roosters, it's usually necessary to watch any roos you have when you enter their area. Even a nice one can turn when they feel threatened. What works for me is standing my ground, towering over him, showing I'm more dominant, without threatening him. I also bought spur covers for mine.

Back
Top Bottom