Rooster attacking hen...what do I do?

RyRe2010

Songster
May 9, 2017
Indiana
I have a 1 year old partridge rock rooster. Who is pretty friendly as far as roosters go. Last fall, we acquired an Ameraucana hen, when he was 5 months old. She integrated into the flock pretty well and every one was getting along. Over the last month, I have noticed that she is out less and less and hides in the coop. If she comes out, he immediately chases her down, mounts her, then proceeds to peck at her, tearing her feathers off, and probably kill her if I donn't intervene. I had to grab his tail feathers and his neck and hang on to him. He's submissive to me, but as soon as I put him down, he goes back at her until she makes it into the coop. The only thing I can think to do, is to cull him...we have a bantam sebright rooster who loves this hen and all the hens get along...but big Captain is creating a big problem...any suggestions?

Last edited:
I didn't know if you could change a rooster behavior like this or not. I hate doing it to him...but I'm pretty sure freezer camp this weekend is the best option...I
don't want to lose her because of him!

You don't need to tell me this but think, why do you want that rooster? What are your goals and how does he fit in? How hard do you want to work to keep him? Why would you not want to put him in the freezer tomorrow?

How long has this behavior been going on? Was that hen the dominant hen? How old is that Sebright, I'm not sure how he fits in. Who is dominant, the Rock or the Sebright? How are the Sebright and the Rock getting along?

I once had a cockerel that was raised in a flock without a dominant rooster as I removed the dominant rooster when the cockerel was about 5 months old. Until that cockerel was 11 months old the dominant hen ruled the roost. The other hens would submit to him but if that dominant hen was around she would knock him off. He was pretty much a wimp. But at 11 months he finally matured enough to try to take over the dominant position in the flock. For two days he was absolutely brutal to that dominant hen. He would force her to mate. Out of the blue he might attack her and peck her around the head, which is a dangerous place for him to attack. After two days she accepted his dominance and they became best buddies.

Something has caused your Rock to change his behaviors. I don't know if it is anything like my scenario above. I have seen one chicken to just all of a sudden take a strong dislike for another chicken and try to kill it. That could be going on. By the way, that cockerel above never did become a good flock master, his personality was too weak. That often happens with cockerels that are late maturing.

If that Sebright is older and the Rock is a late maturing bird, you might see some trouble between them. Even with the difference in size it is possible that Sebright has dominated him so far.

Unless I had a strong reason to keep that rooster I'd put him in the freezer tomorrow. If you really want to try to keep him you can try isolating that hen from the flock for a week, then put her back and see what happens. By isolate I mean totally away from the flock.

You don't need to tell me this but think, why do you want that rooster? What are your goals and how does he fit in? How hard do you want to work to keep him? Why would you not want to put him in the freezer tomorrow?

How long has this behavior been going on? Was that hen the dominant hen? How old is that Sebright, I'm not sure how he fits in. Who is dominant, the Rock or the Sebright? How are the Sebright and the Rock getting along?

I once had a cockerel that was raised in a flock without a dominant rooster as I removed the dominant rooster when the cockerel was about 5 months old. Until that cockerel was 11 months old the dominant hen ruled the roost. The other hens would submit to him but if that dominant hen was around she would knock him off. He was pretty much a wimp. But at 11 months he finally matured enough to try to take over the dominant position in the flock. For two days he was absolutely brutal to that dominant hen. He would force her to mate. Out of the blue he might attack her and peck her around the head, which is a dangerous place for him to attack. After two days she accepted his dominance and they became best buddies.

Something has caused your Rock to change his behaviors. I don't know if it is anything like my scenario above. I have seen one chicken to just all of a sudden take a strong dislike for another chicken and try to kill it. That could be going on. By the way, that cockerel above never did become a good flock master, his personality was too weak. That often happens with cockerels that are late maturing.

If that Sebright is older and the Rock is a late maturing bird, you might see some trouble between them. Even with the difference in size it is possible that Sebright has dominated him so far.

Unless I had a strong reason to keep that rooster I'd put him in the freezer tomorrow. If you really want to try to keep him you can try isolating that hen from the flock for a week, then put her back and see what happens. By isolate I mean totally away from the flock.

I started chickens last spring, and this rooster was a part of that group. I feel bad getting rid of him, plus my kids love him and he great around them. We also just hatched eggs from him too and I wanted to continue that...his behavior isn't acceptable.
Our Sebright was given to us at the same age as Captain, but two months after we started. Actually, the two get along great, mostly. Between the two, our Sebright, Charlie, will protect the hens and if he hears Captain making them cry, he goes after him. Captain chases him and it's over. Captain will not allow him to climb on any of the hens if he's around...not sure if he could anyway, but I suppose it could happen.
Charlie, is also great with my kids and isn't hurting my hen. He actually attempted to protect her.
I honestly think it's just time for Captain to go. It's the lot with roosters I suppose! Just such a beautiful bird and my first. I won't tolerate losing my hen!!
This will be my first time skinning a chicken ^_^ it doesn't seem to be that much different than deer, squirrel, or rabbit! Hopefully it goes well.

At a year old have a sharp knife handy. I skin my chickens too instead of plucking. With roosters that old you will find a lot of connective tissue holding the skin on. I've never skinned a deer but that connective tissue makes it harder than a rabbit or squirrel. Younger chickens aren't that bad but an older rooster can be a pain.

The first thing I cut off is the feet. That makes doing the legs easier. Not necessarily easy, but easier.

Back
Top Bottom