Rooster attacking my kids

hensinmaine

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 2, 2014
Our 8 chickens are all 5 months old. The lone rooster started pecking my kids last week. Yesterday, we got our first two eggs. I am sure the two are connected.

He goes after my 5 year old whenever he is alone. I am guessing because he is smaller. We're training our son to act dominant, but he's scared because the rooster has drawn blood twice.

Any tips on training a cock not to attack us?

You must have had done something to upset the rooster.It will be hard getting him back in shape.Try not leaving the roo by himself.He may be upset he has no hens,not able to mate,and he's lonely.If not being able to mate it makes most male animals ubnoxious and unpredictable.

Last edited:
No change in our routine, nor behavior toward him or the flock. We have 7 hens. He is mating with them regularly. He jumped out of the coop one morning when my daughter opened the door as usual and immediately flew down before she could get the ramp up and started attacking her.

The next day, my son was in the yard, playing and the rooster jumped on him from behind. He chased him all of the way into the house, scratching his arms and legs.

He doesn't attack my husband and I and often leads the flock around the property to eat near us while we're cutting wood or doing yard work.

5 months is when they really start the hormones flowing, they are all sexually maturing and will act rather high strung until they mature more in the next few months.

Littler kids with their high voices and jerkier body movements can set off a cockerels danger alarms and his first reaction is to attack. Human behavior is important and it doesn't take much fear for the bird to feel it and take advantage, it can be hard for an adult to be aware and control their behaviors, let alone a little kid.

Unless you do some serious research fast and assertively train yourselves to handle the bird, even then sometimes they are just aggressive genetics, one of your kids may be seriously injured.

If you don't plan on hatching eggs(even if you do, you can get fertile eggs somewhere else), there's really no reason to expose your family to a nasty cockerel.

No change in our routine, nor behavior toward him or the flock. We have 7 hens. He is mating with them regularly. He jumped out of the coop one morning when my daughter opened the door as usual and immediately flew down before she could get the ramp up and started attacking her.

The next day, my son was in the yard, playing and the rooster jumped on him from behind. He chased him all of the way into the house, scratching his arms and legs.

He doesn't attack my husband and I and often leads the flock around the property to eat near us while we're cutting wood or doing yard work.
Probably defedning his flock.

Following... my 6 year old got attached by our rooster tonight. He had pecked at my 8 year old a few times and 6 year old heard me telling him to stand tall and stare him down (thought I read that somewhere) and 6 year old tried that but the rooster kept circling around behind him and jumping up to come down with his feet. This was the first time that he’d happened so now I’m researching. He’s the same age as your chickens and also leaves me alone when I’m out.

You could start a new thread, but this brings it up now anyway.
Your six year old child won't be able to manage this situation, and is very likely going to be injured.
The short answer is, this cockerel needs to be dinner, either for you, or another family.
There are articles here about managing aggressive roosters, and methods vary, and often fail, when one adult is involved, never mind children.
Genetics! Roosters are a product of upbringing and most importantly, their genetics, and you can't fix that.
Polite cockerels and roosters are spending their time watching out for actual threats, and caring for their flockmates, and breeding. They aren't stalking the humans who bring food every day!
Either keep this bird locked up away from people, or eliminate him, ASAP.
There are many nice roosters out there, and he's not one of them.
Mary

You could start a new thread, but this brings it up now anyway.
Your six year old child won't be able to manage this situation, and is very likely going to be injured.
The short answer is, this cockerel needs to be dinner, either for you, or another family.
There are articles here about managing aggressive roosters, and methods vary, and often fail, when one adult is involved, never mind children.
Genetics! Roosters are a product of upbringing and most importantly, their genetics, and you can't fix that.
Polite cockerels and roosters are spending their time watching out for actual threats, and caring for their flockmates, and breeding. They aren't stalking the humans who bring food every day!
Either keep this bird locked up away from people, or eliminate him, ASAP.
There are many nice roosters out there, and he's not one of them.
Mary
I knew that might be a possibility. :( I was just a little shocked since it seemed sudden but I know he’s hitting that stage of high hormones. Thanks for your advice.

I knew that might be a possibility. :( I was just a little shocked since it seemed sudden but I know he’s hitting that stage of high hormones. Thanks for your advice.

How old is the male? An aggressive rooster is generally going to stay aggressive (there’s always an exception). With kids, an aggressive male needs to be kept in a cage or enclosure that the kids do not access. Or removed from the premises.

We had one that was aggressive to our 12yo. We sold at auction. We now have a rooster that goes after me (not the kid!), but we keep him for now bc I’m always on guard and use a stick to tap his head (chicken style reprimand like a peck), and he moves away. But, my plan is to get rid of him within the year to make room for some up and coming males that we will choose from.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom