Rooster attacking new owner, rehomed silkie previously friendly

Okay I just had to tell you, when you wrote that you sprayed them with the jet setting, I laughed SO hard!! Just what I needed!
Haha I'm glad! If I make a direct hit they'll usually jump about three feet straight up in the air. There was one time my Favorelle was not getting the hint, so I changed it to "shower" setting and just continuously sprayed him until he was a saturated mop. Then he finally walked away, as if he was bored :gig

If all else fails, a long hot soothing bath is a sure cure. Add some onions garlic, salt and pepper and a bay leaf or two.
Would be a shame, he really is an exceptionally pretty rooster..Probably knows it and that is part of the problem?

He became a man and got a girl that's what happened. He's got his own "stuff" and territory he's doing what they do protecting what's his. He might calm down on his own in a few months when those hormones aren't raging so hard. I try to be patient with the young fellas, the lights are on but nobody's home for a couple of months. :)

The lights are on but nobody's home for a couple of months..hahaha.. this happened with our male iguana for a short time..Maybe he will snap out of it :)

This sounds about right for a faverolles. :lau
Haha I'm glad! If I make a direct hit they'll usually jump about three feet straight up in the air. There was one time my Favorelle was not getting the hint, so I changed it to "shower" setting and just continuously sprayed him until he was a saturated mop. Then he finally walked away, as if he was bored :gig

The lights are on but nobody's home for a couple of months..hahaha.. this happened with our male iguana for a short time..Maybe he will snap out of it :)

I've noticed that as the level of testosterone goes up, the level of brain function goes down. This is true for a lot of males, not just chickens. Some of them get their brains back but some never do.

I've noticed that as the level of testosterone goes up... brain function goes down....

In my long and varied experience the problem is not the testosterone in the cockerel but the estrogen in the pullet that is to blame. As proof I submit the fact that brain dysfunction is never present in the male in the absence of estrogen. :lau:gig

I raise roosters, you just need to fight through this stage.
I'll carry a hose with me if I'm busy outside, if I catch my cockerels trying to sneak up behind me I'll spray them with the "jet" setting. It's enough force to scare them, and they know it's from me.
Brooms are another option, knock them off their feet a few times and they'll begin getting a hint.
My bantam cockerel attacked my mom so she chased it down, grabbed him by his tail and carried him around the flock upside down. Then held him regularly for probably a good half hour. He's never done it since.
During the winter my Jersey Giant attacked me in the coop. I had snow pants and thick boots on so I just kicked him back. When he tried to flee I sat on him for a few minutes (Not all my weight! That'd kill him). It happened once more after that, now he's my "bucket buddy". He follows me whenever I'm carrying water or food to anyone so he can peek inside.

Unfortunately, I try not to let them be cuddly for your reason. They grow and change.
I tolerate following at a distance, eating from my hand, and just general company. If I'm sitting down they can come over, because then I'm paying attention to their intentions ;)
One thing I've noticed is don't get comfortable with them until you KNOW you can be. Good luck!!!
I once tried sparying my rooster with the jet setting. I rushed at him and it was working, but them I lunged at him and ripped the metal piece off the end of my hose and broke it. I have banned myself from using that method now. In all seriousness it worked great those few times I tried it. Now I use my aussie. She never hurts him, just rushes at him if ue chooses to attack me. She is the one animal on the farm he respects. If you do jto have a chicken friendly dog pal though I would suggest putting one of those large rubber balls that you see at every supermarket in america in a bag behind your back and release it when they rush at you. I have had a few with a strange fear of orange pool noodles as well, especially when you wiggle them around.

Back
Top Bottom