rooster attacking one hen

clanton03

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
Northwest Washington
Hello,
So Im kinda new to this all. I have 8 chickens that are 13 weeks old ( 2 buff orpingtons, 2 ameraucana, 2 australorp and 2 barred rocks)
We ended up with one rooster (an australorp) and he keeps attacking one of the ameraucana. I don't know what to do about it. please I could use help on this.
Thank you.

What do you mean by attacking? If he is chasing her around and trying to climb on her, then he is trying to mate. They can be quite clumsy when they are young but he'll get better at it. He may bite the feathers on the back of her head when he is trying to grab her. Don't worry, eventually she will get the instinct to just pause and let him do his thing and it will be much less violent. If you think he is really hurting her - like going to draw blood - you could try separating him for a few weeks until they are a little older.

for example today when i let them out of the coop she was the last one out and he ran over to her and bit her tail and pulled feathers out then she ran and hid from him and when she came back out to eat he went after her again and bit her on the back of the neck she start to squealing. every time he does it she squeals. he seems to only do it to the one.

I'm having a similar problem right now. I was advised in a local thread to separate them until they are more mature, or at least take the roo out during the day, so he's demoted in the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom