rooster attacks me for no reason

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GFRAN53, Jul 7, 2010.

1. GFRAN53

GFRAN53 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2010
    Van Horne, Iowa
    I am standing in my coop waiting for my dad to get done watering my chickens. I am standing next to my rooster. Then out of the blue he just decides to attack me. Any idea what's ticking him off?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, believe it or not, the color red will upset them. Were you wearing a red or bright pink shirt? Also, you may have done nothing to provoke him. Roosters sometimes just get mean as they mature.

3. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    Does the color red affect hens too? Or is it just roosters?

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    He probably had a reason but it was in his pea sized brain. [​IMG]

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    He's challenging your place in his world. It's the way the chicken mind works - the pecking order. You're either above him or below him and he wants you beneath him in the hierarchy. If you cut and run then he wins. If you make him cut and run then you win.

I'd take a broom to the coop. If he approaches you then give him a swat with the brushy end. You're not trying to hurt him, but to make him move. Every time he stops make him move again. Follow him around and keep sweeping him with the broom every time he stops until he avoids you whenever you approach. ALWAYS make him get out of your way. NEVER get out of his way. Eventually he'll accept that you're above him in the pecking order and will leave you alone.

There is the occasional cock bird that just won't take 'no' for an answer. Him you get to eat. He'll be delicious.

6. GFRAN53

GFRAN53 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2010
    Van Horne, Iowa
    I wasn't wearing red and this rooster is quite old.

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    He had a reason, though it might be completely debatable to you!

For some reason, he viewed you as a danger to his flock, most likely. I find it sad when folks say "crock pot" as a first line in dealing with this situation - see this old thread for some pointers if you're not wanting to use that method:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=131593

8. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Maybe he is just cranky because he is old and you looked at him the wrong way! Lol!

9. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    He wanted you off his lawn!

[​IMG]

10. BigRednRock

BigRednRock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    my orpington roo was like that. he got worse and worse. it started out with me then he started on my husband. my husband finally killed him

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by