rooster babies and caponizing

lisameeks

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 12, 2008
We put fertile eggs under a broody hen and wouldn't you know it, of the four that hatched, I got 3 roosters. We're not allowed to keep roosters because of the crowing. I've found plenty of people willing to take and eat the guys, but no farm needs a rooster to go and live with them. Someone suggested that I caponize the guys and then they won't be able to mate and it will stop them from crowing. From what I've read about the process, it seems pretty formidable. Has anyone tried this? Is it worth the effort? Or should I just accept the fact that the little guys are headed for the stew pot?

It's a neverending problem if you hatch very much, you won't be able to keep all even caponized, and it get very difficult to find no kill hoes for them. If you don't want them to go to the stew pots, the only solution is not to hatch.

I agree, it's a fact of life for chicken keepers & especially for those hatching eggs. There just aren't enough job positions for over 90% of all roosters hatched, their purpose is to be found on a plate. There are lots worse things that can happen to a rooster than to provide nourishment for some grateful family. I'm not even certain that caponizing would keep a rooster from crowing. Maybe it would just make him crow soprano. And then he'd just be hanging around eating & pooping and not giving much back. Enjoy your boy chicks while you have them and find someone deserving to take them, someone who will give them a quick & humane end. That's the best you can do for them.

I, think it is important to come to grips with the fact that half of all chickens produced will become dinner or coyote food or the very very rare breeder. It seems a fact of life if one wants to care for and keep chickens.

Not sure that if I were a chicken i wouldnt prefer being dinner to the caponization process. Yikes. I suppose you may be able to find a vet that will do it with anasthesia etc. but I bet that is hundreds of dollars per bird.

Last edited:
Use the 'search' utility (in blue bar above) on caponizing, you will find a zillion loooonng threads on the subject that will give you more facts, opinions and experiences than you ever wanted to know
tongue.png

Readers Digest version, it is unanesthetized major abdominal surgery with a nonzero mortality rate especially when you are learning to do it. A few people do it regularly and are happy with the results; a few more would do it if they could find an experienced old-timer to teach them (as opposed to 'learn as you go'), most folks on this forum don't think the prospect of a few more lbs of slightly tenderer meat is worth it. (It is generally said that capons will still crow). You have to make up your own mind though. Personally I might consider it IF I could find a very experienced practitioner to observe and IF their chickens did not seem to be excessively bothered by it. Or I might not, I like my normal "curry size" roos just fine as it is, frankly.

GOod luck whatever you decide,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom