Rooster balance problems - how big is the chance of Marek's?

He's walking!! Not very elegantly, but he CAN move. I put him with the chickens to eat a last bit before going to sleep and when I came back I couldn't find him. He had managed to climb the stairs to their night accommodation! (how do you call the house they sleep in?). I still put him separately as he was attacked by a chicken last week and I don't want him to get hurt now. Step by step, but he's such an amazing sport.

Wonderful news, and great photo!
I guess your avian vet did a nice job, in spite of the naysayers here? You stuck with him, in a very tough situation, and this is fantastic, good for you!
Mary

I can't say I've encountered naysayers here. If someone thinks they can help me out of their own experience then they should of course share that, even if it's not the same as the vet's diagnosis. The meningitis diagnosis of the vet was probably incorrect and I think what really helped him were the vitamins from my usual non avian vet and the muscle stuff he got this week from the avian vet. And I'm pretty sure my caring for him with the aid from the members here also helped a lot. I think it's difficult to correctly diagnose a chicken in this case, I called the vet today and she was puzzled, but happy and says we're going to keep looking. Fecal testing will be done next week.

Phil is doing a great job. He's still wobbly but he can walk a decent bit. I noticed in the evening that he had regained feeling in all but one toe, but in the morning most of the feeling seems gone again. I guess it's a bit of morning stiffness? I still massage his toes and feet every morning and evening. Unfortunately I work long days Mo-Thu so I can't properly observe him now.

He tried to clean his wings a few times, but can't quite get there yet. I'm still keeping him separate most of the time, because he wants to challenge the chickens to regain his position, but he's still far from fully recovered and I don't want him to get hurt. I have delivered two containers of stool samples at the poultry clinic today: one of him and the other of my three chickens. I will share the results here as soon as I have them.

The vet just called me. They found nothing except for one single worm egg and a heap of coccidiosis again :( I told her I had treated him with baycox twice already last month, so she suggested using a different medicine. The chickens had very little in them. It's a bit discouraging as I really try to pay attention to hygiene, often cleaning out the coop, changing water and food every day, but we're going through a wet period at the moment.

I'll clean out his little enclosure again tonight and burn the hay. I hope I can get rid of it soon.

Last edited:
I believe @casportpony says she treats coccidiosis nowadays with a comb of toltrazuril (Baycox) and Amprollium, due to growing resistance. Vets also sometimes prescribe sulfonomide antibiotics as well.

Glad to hear that Phil is still walking and doing well.

The vet said something about the strain probably being immune to baycox. Last time I went to the poultry clinic with him they found very little coccidiosis left, so I repeated treatment, now it has spiked again.

She gave me this powder:
e251a527-9ad9-4bca-8952-e0c77c91219c.jpg

Treatment for 5 days, 3 days nothing and then again 5 days. The problem is that the cat often drinks from the waterer, so now I have to lock up the chickens in their coop which I don't like if there really is a problem with coccidiosis, so I'm debating whether I should do half-half and also keep the cat inside some days.

Is it necessary to treat your other chickens, since Phil is the one that has the problem? Did the vet advise you to treat them all? I would just treat him, and keep the cat away from his water. Most grown chickens over 5 months have developed resistance to coccidiosis in the home soil. Phil may not have due to immunity issues. Sulfa antibiotics can be hard on kidneys. Follow your vet’s advice.

Is it necessary to treat your other chickens, since Phil is the one that has the problem? Did the vet advise you to treat them all? I would just treat him, and keep the cat away from his water. Most grown chickens over 5 months have developed resistance to coccidiosis in the home soil. Phil may not have due to immunity issues. Sulfa antibiotics can be hard on kidneys. Follow your vet’s advice.

I specifically asked and she said yes. In both samples coccidiosis was found, a low amount in the chickens and again a lot in Phil.

In the USA, it's considered 'normal' for adult chickens to have some coccidia, and our problems are with chicks exposed to too many oocysts at one time, overwhelming their ability to develop the partial immunity that protects them from actual illness.
Things may certainly be different where you live, I don't know. Here, the parasite is in the soil many places, unavoidable unless the birds never get outside.
I agree that Phil doesn't seem to manage coccidia very well, or at all.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom