Rooster balance problems - how big is the chance of Marek's?

Thank you

I just called to the poultry clinic, but the vet said she can do no other testing than necropsy, so I'm pretty sure my local vet will not be able to run any other tests either.

I could not find any veterinary colleges listed in your country, so it might be best to locate a poultry center at a veterinary college in a close country, such as Netherlands or Germany that might accept a specimen.

I just received a call from the vet! He has coccidiosis! I've never been so relieved with a bad result :confused: I'm so glad I asked for a stool test. There's still a chance he also has mareks, but touching wood! It's still a bad result, but at least there's a possibility he will fully recover.

I just received a call from the vet! He has coccidiosis! I've never been so relieved with a bad result :confused: I'm so glad I asked for a stool test. There's still a chance he also has mareks, but touching wood! It's still a bad result, but at least there's a possibility he will fully recover.
That's great news! Phil should be up and around in no time now, please keep us posted. :thumbsup

That is good that they found he has coccidiosis, but unfortunately many chickens who have Mareks or other viruses that caused decreased immunity, can suffer from coccidiosis. But at least this can be treated. Is the vet going to treat with amprollium, a sulfa antibiotic, or something else? Keep us posted on your Phil.

That is good that they found he has coccidiosis, but unfortunately many chickens who have Mareks or other viruses that caused decreased immunity, can suffer from coccidiosis. But at least this can be treated. Is the vet going to treat with amprollium, a sulfa antibiotic, or something else? Keep us posted on your Phil.

Of course, that has crossed my mind, but at least I can do something now and if it doesn't work, I at least tried. I agree his symptoms are too much like Mareks, so the other only option could be a severe vitamin deficiency because of the coccidiosis.

The chickens are getting baycox through water now and I'll trinkle some water in Phil's beak in the morning, lunch and evening, because I know he's eating little bits, but I haven't seen him drink. When I carefully pour water into his mouth he does drink it himself luckily. I also made him a little dish this morning to mix into his food: mashed egg, some crushed mealworms, herbs (oregano and kurkuma) and a little bit of broken corn because he likes that. He's separated so he can eat and drink in peace, but he can still see his chickens. He's safe from wind and rain. I think I'm doing all I can and we'll see whatever the outcome is. I still inquired about the options to send his body in for necropsy should he die.

So, the vet prescribed him and the chickens 2 days of Baycox (Toltrazuril) in the water and afterwards he'll get a vitamin treatment. According to her she only ever saw a case of mareks once, but I'm still wary, not many people really take their sick chicken to the vet... but fingers crossed of course!

They've also been gossiping around the vet's office about how pretty my guy is. I absolutely can't deny that :p

16ny9j8q6ve31.jpg

I hope I can share some good news with you guys soon, but I already want to thank everyone for the help and support

So, the vet prescribed him and the chickens 2 days of Baycox (Toltrazuril) in the water and afterwards he'll get a vitamin treatment. According to her she only ever saw a case of mareks once, but I'm still wary, not many people really take their sick chicken to the vet... but fingers crossed of course!

They've also been gossiping around the vet's office about how pretty my guy is. I absolutely can't deny that :p

View attachment 1953625

I hope I can share some good news with you guys soon, but I already want to thank everyone for the help and support
He is a beuaty, fingers crossed that it's "only" coccidiosis and vitamin def.

Back
Top Bottom