Rooster balance problems - how big is the chance of Marek's?

So, a little update. I think Phil has stabilised, or at least he hasn't deteriorated further. I took him inside yesterday evening for warmth, but he will not have it. He woke me up "screaming" and didn't eat. I put him back outside, but separated and put the chicken's food tray close to him, so he'd see them eat. He started eating then.

I prepare a special meal for him every morning he should be able to digest easily: Some mashed egg with oregano, high protein mash for meat chicks, meal worms, oyster shells for calcium, a bit of the normal food of course and some cracked corn. I still help him with his water intake because I don't see him drinking much.

Some things I noticed: he is very alert, he doesn't seem to doze off weakly, he can't walk anymore, but still moves his legs if I pick him up, he can still flap his wings with good force. He still warns his chickens for wild birds flying by :)

This is his last day of medicine for coccidiosis and tomorrow he will start a vitamin treatment. I have no idea what to expect, but I will continue to take care of him like this for another week. Should I take him inside at night?

View attachment 1954431

Physical therapy: Make a little sling, and have him 'walk' while you help by holding him up. Keep those legs moving!
I'd have him out there, not in the house. He wants to be with his flock, so make him a comfy separate spot (as you have done) and don't have him in the house.
Mary

Okay, he's in an old little house with a run where the chickens used to live when they were little. He can't get up there on his own, so I think I'll move him at night and in the morning, because I'm afraid it's too cold to leave him on the ground. I've never heard of a chicken sling before! I will definitely look for an old shirt to cut up. Do I use it on him a few times a day or should I make something permanent? I can try to make that for the weekends, but I have pretty long working days, I don't think it's safe when I'm gone for that long.

The chicken sling is something that should only be used when there is someone to supervise him. If you could try to walk him at least once a day, more is better. There are several vids out there with chickens in slings/ wheelchairs - check 'em out :)

Here are some links on homemade chicken slings and wheelchairs:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

upload_2019-11-8_18-36-21.jpeg

A device that is used to walk a paralyzed dog, but which could be redesigned for a chicken

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-8_18-35-58.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-8_18-35-58.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 2
So, a little update. I think Phil has stabilised, or at least he hasn't deteriorated further. I took him inside yesterday evening for warmth, but he will not have it. He woke me up "screaming" and didn't eat. I put him back outside, but separated and put the chicken's food tray close to him, so he'd see them eat. He started eating then.
I prepare a special meal for him every morning he should be able to digest easily: Some mashed egg with oregano, high protein mash for meat chicks, meal worms, oyster shells for calcium, a bit of the normal food of course and some cracked corn. I still help him with his water intake because I don't see him drinking much.
Some things I noticed: he is very alert, he doesn't seem to doze off weakly, he can't walk anymore, but still moves his legs if I pick him up, he can still flap his wings with good force. He still warns his chickens for wild birds flying by :)
This is his last day of medicine for coccidiosis and tomorrow he will start a vitamin treatment. I have no idea what to expect, but I will continue to take care of him like this for another week. Should I take him inside at night?View attachment 1954431

Too much calcium for chicks & Roos, I've read can/may cause kidney/liver problems. It's been said that layer (higher in calcium) shouldn't be fed to chicks/Roos, although some do say different. Hope he's feeling better soon.

Too much calcium for chicks & Roos, I've read can/may cause kidney/liver problems. It's been said that layer (higher in calcium) shouldn't be fed to chicks/Roos, although some do say different. Hope he's feeling better soon.

I have read about that, but I can't find any conclusive results. I can't immediately find any symptoms of that on the internet either. But in any case, yes, it has crossed my mind. That's why I immediately removed the layer feed from their diet when he started to act strange, but their diet never fully consisted out of layer feed, rather 1/2 layer feed and 1/2 grain mix (I don't know the exact translation, but in any case a full feed, but without layer pellets) and oyster shells separately. They also free roam a lot.

Back
Top Bottom