Rooster behaving bad

sammy56

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
I have 2 pullets and one 4 months old rooster he always behaves bad to my pullets always pecking in them when they eat he dosent let them peck her out of here but there is a rooster from my neighbours his a really nice guy his 1 year old he always be nice to my girls I don't know why he does that

What you need to do is take a large stew pot and an ax out there and just watch that rooster. Every time he pecks at the pullets, just be sitting there sharpening the ax. If he's not smart enough to figure that out, well, place him in the stew pot.
wink.png

I don't have the sites on hand but there are ways of correcting the behavior - they aren't hard to find tho - keep in mind the breed makes a difference too - his hormones are also just 'kicking in ' so he is extra bad like a 13 yr old - plus I heard u need more then one roo to occupy each other

From now until he's at least a year and a half, he's going to be obnoxious with the pullets. You have three choices. Eat him, discipline and train him (a lot of time and commitment), or separate him from the girls for the next year.

Make him a pen next to the girls so he can see and talk to but not abuse them. I do this with my roos, and it works fine. If you do let him with the two pullets, he's going to wear them out because there are too few to satisfy his surging hormones. You'd need at least six more hens for him.

I'm not a huge fan of really small flocks (3 birds) with roosters - this is exactly the sort of behavior you see.

The next door neighbor's rooster being nice to your pullets? He's trying to recruit them.

Back
Top Bottom