Rooster Behavior Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by countrygirl911, Sep 14, 2010.

1. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    hi everyone i have 5 chickens that are 19 weeks old and 5 that are 17 weeks old an 8 that are 5 weeks old one of the 19 week olds is a rooster and today i noticed that he was trying to mate one of the other 19 week old hens and they are no having it they run from him squaking. Is this normal for him to try even though the girls do not seem to want him to mate them. the hens are really red in the face so i am thinking that they are close to laying but this roo seems very determined he looks like he is tomenting my hens

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It is completely normal. The roos mature faster than the hens do in this aspect, but don't worry. When they are ready, they will squat for him. In the mean time, he will just keep trying. Nothing hurt. [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Once everybody - roos and hens - get on the same page, mating will happen so quickly you'll hardly notice it.

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Yes, your young lads are, well......just young lads and are wanting to mate with any hen or pullet who will let them. The girls have to be mature to let them.

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by