Rooster behavior

One thing to think about might be a place where your grandkids can be and the chickens can't. For a couple of good reasons! Chickens poop on everything. I literally have had to throw away my outdoor shoes, which I put on and take off outside, away because the chickens have come to the back door looking for me/food and then pooped all over them, the mat and the walkway. Yuck! So, you don't want your grandkids' play equipment covered in chicken poop because if will happen eventually, if they take a liking to roosting on it. Another reason is that you don't have to worry about the roosters then, at least while the kids are in the chicken free zone. Personally, my roosters have never bothered young children, but I still don't trust the welfare of a little person to the daily attitude of a rooster. I'd devise a way to confine your roosters while your grandkids are at play and let them out afterwards or when you can supervise closely. My chickens are totally free range. They are locked in at night to prevent predation and then let out in the morning. JMHO.
You know, as much as I don’t want to have to separate my yard, I may have to. I already had planned on fencing off my back deck from the chickens when the new ones start free ranging. My four hens have free roam of everything, except my landscaped flower beds, decks included, and think they are one of my 7 dogs. They literally will sun on my deck with the dogs...
57990449-21BE-4048-9F75-9B95FB0CD2A8.jpeg

3689E7AF-DE04-49B3-9E56-01A68230E9DC.jpeg

and then climb into the igloo dog houses when it’s cold. Poor Biscuit is in full on molt in this picture.
60D6A17A-799D-45A5-8B73-CB9E5C315A17.jpeg
I, of course, don’t mind washing the poop of four hens off the deck, but not the poop of 28.

View attachment 1449548 Ringo takes the sun...
He is 14 weeks old, integrated nicely with the late March pullets and is tolerated by the big girls. He found his voice Memorial Day weekend and has been practicing on a regular basis.
He does not get handled and so far shows no signs of not knowing his place with anyone who lives here: human, canine, feline, or other poultry.....
All the chickens free range. As of a month ago both age groups roost together... He is usually the last one in.
Reading all the descriptions of bad rooster behavior does not worry me...
Thank you for this post. This scenario is what I aim for.

Lately my rooster has been following me when I go out to give the girls treats. Today I put down the treats, dropped the bag, then started walking away and my roo kept following me, as he did throughout the rest of the day. Is he just being friendly and wanting food or is he going to try and assert his dominance at some point?
I make Shure to speak to our Roo when I enter the coop. Then I give him first taste of any treats and stand beside him while each girl gets a taste.
He hasn't been overshadowing since I began his majesties preferential treatment. Lol
Good luck!

Another thing I don’t understand is the not crowing/mating in front of me. Now, I love to hear them crow and would welcome that. And as far as the mating goes, I wouldn’t stop our bull breeding our cows. Now I did, several years ago, stop (tried to stop) an old stray dog that got into our yard when our Springer Spaniel was in heat. :barnie Yeah, I wasn’t successful, BTW! So why would I not want to let the roo do one of his jobs that he’s there for? I guess that’s part of the rooster behavior that I do not understand.
I am new to this too. Since Nov. I think it is because the head roo wouldn't let the lower rooster mate in front of him and since you want him to respect you he shouldn't do that in your presence.

Think
I am new to this too. Since Nov. I think it is because the head roo wouldn't let the lower rooster mate in front of him and since you want him to respect you he shouldn't do that in your presence.
about this. More often than not, the rooster showing "respect" will eventually challenge his current superior in a knock down drag out that is harder to defeat than most people will sustain when trying to dominate an aggressive rooster.

Think

about this. More often than not, the rooster showing "respect" will eventually challenge his current superior in a knock down drag out that is harder to defeat than most people will sustain when trying to dominate an aggressive rooster.
I am aware of this. I will still take a stand against him. He is a 5lb chicken and he will not dominate me. I love my roos but I will not let them dominate me. I will always be head chicken. No matter how hard they try.

I would remove your from my yard with that attitude. You are not a chicken and will not be allowed to act like one.
Would you let a dog dominate you. My chickens are very spoiled and I am not a chicken so that is the main reason they will not dominate me. Most people wouldn't let them dominate them either. I don't hurt my roos. I just show them I am bigger and stronger than them. I could have stewed them and not let them have a long healthy life.

Back
Top Bottom