Rooster behavior

The only roosters I have had that did not try to attack me are the ones I've kept that were hatched and raised by their mother hens. Otherwise, they have all tried to attack either me or my husband.

I adopted my current Roo from an animal shelter. He was very docile when I adopted him, but once he got around my 9 girls and felt he needed to protect them, he did his little wing dropping dance and flew at me. Luckily...even though I wasn't expecting it, as soon as I saw his dance, I backed out of the run super fast, and slammed the door...catching him mid-air in the gate. If I wouldn't have run out, he would have had me. Since then, (and I think it was because I fended off the attack with the gate) I don't go in the run without a way to get out. I keep my eye on him, and he maintains a respectable distance...so neither of us agitates the other. He lets me throw treats, but will not let any of the girls go and eat them, until I move at least 15 feet away. Then he will call them over.

This is exactly the kind of thing I didn’t want to have to do. I want to be able to just freely walk in my yard and not have to give any thought to whether or not I’m being stalked. I guess I have just been spoiled by my hens. Now in come the boys to spoil the fun. :barnie And as I’ve said before, if it was just me, okay, get attacked, process next day. But I have 3 grandsons that I want to be able to move freely around the yard from playhouse to swingset to sandbox to pool. And I want my chickens to be able to roam freely around the yard from bug to worm to lord knows what else. Hopefully I’ll be able to have my cake and eat it too. But my grandchildren do come first.

No way I would have my grandson or granddaughter in the same yard as a mean rooster...or even a nice rooster. I would keep the rooster separated. I don't trust them...especially around kids.

My profile picture is of my Welsummer rooster "Cammy." We got him to protect the ladies after we lost one to a hawk and he takes his job VERY seriously! I have no doubt he would fight any animal to the death to protect them. However, I am the only person who can go around him. He overtly attacked me a couple times and after doing some research I began establishing my place in the pecking order by picking him up, cuddling him (carefully) and holding his head down for several seconds while telling him I AM the top rooster! Getting to this point took more courage than I knew I had, but something had to be done, we couldn't go into our own yard! He no longer shows any overt aggression to me but if I ever let my guard down, BAM he hits me from behind.
Oh me, oh my. I guess at this point I’m committed since I have five. However, I can always go back to no roosters if the ones I keep turn out to be hellions.
(I really just wanted two roosters to help with hawk protection. I’ve never lost a chicken, but we do have hawks around. I do have a LGD and a Catahoula that roam the yard with the chickens, but I thought a rooster or two would help, especially since I was expanding my flock.)
I’ve got to stop worrying.

The only roosters I have had that did not try to attack me are the ones I've kept that were hatched and raised by their mother hens. Otherwise, they have all tried to attack either me or my husband.

I adopted my current Roo from an animal shelter. He was very docile when I adopted him, but once he got around my 9 girls and felt he needed to protect them, he did his little wing dropping dance and flew at me. Luckily...even though I wasn't expecting it, as soon as I saw his dance, I backed out of the run super fast, and slammed the door...catching him mid-air in the gate. If I wouldn't have run out, he would have had me. Since then, (and I think it was because I fended off the attack with the gate) I don't go in the run without a way to get out. I keep my eye on him, and he maintains a respectable distance...so neither of us agitates the other. He lets me throw treats, but will not let any of the girls go and eat them, until I move at least 15 feet away. Then he will call them over.
I certainly am thankful you were not injured.
It truly blows my mind that a bird, a chicken has that much power/control, over us and over an entire flock. We shall see how this all pans out for me, but I may wind up with my yard being a “No Rooster Zone.” Time will tell.

My wife has trouble with a couple of our roosters but most are quite peaceful around her. For some reason, the aggressive ones try to attack her shoes or boots and will occasionally go after her hand if she reaches down while in their coops. She has found the most effective way to deal with them is to "Speak softly and carry a big stick." When she keeps the stick between her and the rooster, they never try to spur her. If she loses her guard, they will sometimes strike.
I just got rid of one that charged me 3 times, and DW if she didn't carry a stick in the chicken yard.

Don’t be nervous.Animals can sense that a rooster will just look at you as a punk.They don’t have that much power unless you give it to them.Even as a young kid we bought a rooster,who turned out to be aggressive(never get a rooster you didn’t raise),and we fought all the time,if I could do it then I surely could now.

There may be another reason he is following you. It is a very important job/pride thing for a rooster to provide food to his hens. It makes him look good. I always make sure my roo gets treats when he wants it bc what he does is drops it for them, sometimes passes it directly from beak to beak, and sometimes he calls them over and gives it to them it always makes him look good

So he might be asking you to give him treats to give to them too

Whenever I find a few live worms I give them to the rooster so that he can choose who gets this special treat as well

I also think the rooster will appreciate this that you do this, I think mine do
Can you say "anthropomorphism"?

Back
Top Bottom