Rooster behavior

Adrisducks

Songster
6 Years
Oct 26, 2016
2 QUESTIONS
I lost my main rooster Big Red a couple months back by him courageously protecting his flock from a hawk. I was out of town far away all day but my parents came to care for them and found him. I have another rooster but he's a tiny serama. I'm so broken about losing him. I had to get another. I looked and looked for the right fit for my flock and saw an absolutely gorgeous silkie rooster that the owners said he had 14 hours left to live, because they were breeders and had too many boys. I scooped him up immediately. He's quite good with me and my husband for not having been handled much. He'll do a tiny ever so gentle peck when I first touch him but when in my arms he seems like he enjoys being pet.

1) Do you think he's just terrified of me?

He's also REALLY going at it with the girls (sex/mating) all of them very much. I'm worried he'll hurt some of the favorites.

2) Should he calm down after not being so new?
He's been here about a month.

Thank you for reading! I attached his photo just because. He's the one at the very top center. Multi colored. I hope someone knows the answers because I'm a very worried mother hen!

Attachments

• 20200105_164354.jpg
    20200105_164354.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
He'll do a tiny ever so gentle peck when I first touch him but when in my arms he seems like he enjoys being pet.
It might be because he can't see above hin very well. Do you trim his Crest? Do you bring your hand in from above him or in front of him? We have 2 bantam Silkie cockerels and they bite my hand if they don't see it coming in. If they're crests are trimmed, not so much.

1) Do you think he's just terrified of me?
You didn't really give much information about his interactions with you. If he lets you pick him up, I'd assume he's not scared of you. I've got a couple of roosters that simply will not let me catch them unless they are on a roost.

2) Should he calm down after not being so new?
He's been here about a month.
Again there is not much description of his actions. What is he doing that you feel should be calmed down?

It might be because he can't see above hin very well. Do you trim his Crest? Do you bring your hand in from above him or in front of him? We have 2 bantam Silkie cockerels and they bite my hand if they don't see it coming in. If they're crests are trimmed, not so much.

His Crest is barely there, it's still growing in so he really just has spikes with a few whispy strands. I pat his back usually, which he's fine with, when I touch his crop is when he sometimes pecks.

You didn't really give much information about his interactions with you. If he lets you pick him up, I'd assume he's not scared of you. I've got a couple of roosters that simply will not let me catch them unless they are on a roost.

I haven't tried to catch him because I've had no need, I've only been patting him on his roost when I do a head check. I've had many roosters in the past that I hand raised who were all very sweet and enjoyed being held/pat, UNTIL they reach maturity, then they just aren't the same. Never would peck me, just would duck down and try to move away if I needed to pick them up. This rooster I got completely matured and he doesn't move away from me like that at all.

Again there is not much description of his actions. What is he doing that you feel should be calmed down?

I feel he is mating the girls much too often. I'm wondering if the mating will calm down a bit when he's been here a bit longer. Just worried for my girls sake.

I feel he is mating the girls much too often. I'm wondering if the mating will calm down a bit when he's been here a bit longer. Just worried for my girls sake.
Is he being rough with them? I don't mean to be rude by saying this, but mating is just what they do. If he is causing damages to the girls, or if they are showing signs of being scared I'd say there is a potential problem. If not, and it's just the amount of breeding that is a concern, I wouldn't fret it to much.

I have had boys that will calm down after a while with their new flock, and I've had some that are just always "wired up." If he's not hurting them though I wouldn't worry much.

Wonder if the other cock/erel is heightening his level of amore?
He's scaring the other rooster away. A little serama that's 3 years old that I've always had. He was the leader but not anymore

Terrified of you, probably not.
Unsure of you? Absolutely!
I doubt he will harm his favorite girls either he should semi chill after the shine of his situation fades a little.
He won the rooster lottery, he's celebrating. :)
That's probably true, he has 30 girls now.

Back
Top Bottom