Rooster Behavior

OrpingtonDude

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Topeka, Kansas
Hi I have a 6 months old Lav/Split Orpington rooster that has been servicing my 6 month old Americana hens.(Eggs will be used for eating.) Then i have a 9 month old Splash Orpington rooster that has not been interested in hens. I was wondering why the 9 month old had not been interested in hens?

Thanks,
Mike

He's probably afraid of having the ever-loving tar beat out of him by the other rooster.
gig.gif

You don't really have enough hens to support two roosters, from what I can see in your signature line. The younger roo is the dominant one and is probably tolerating the older one as long as he doesn't move in on his territory (all of the hens being HIS TERRITORY). I have the same situation with my two roos. They get along just fine (even snuggle together at night
roll.png
), but the dominant roo takes off after the other one if he tries to get "friendly" with the ladies.

Either that, or the Splash roo is into an alternative lifestyle. It could go either way.
lau.gif

Yup - thats it.

My second roo used to hide in the nest box at night to keep the dominant roo from looking at him. That is definatly what is going on.

Its all ok though- they seem to have worked out a good solution. Or youd find a big pile of feathers one day!

You ought to see my little bitty serama roo try (key word try) to take out my EE roo... Neither have spurs yet, but I end up having to scoop my serama up..

He has become the little bitty meanie... I have another phrase, but we do have kids and ladies present.
lol.png
It's funny to watch him try to take on one of my big girls.

Back
Top Bottom