Rooster behavior

Thanks Susie. I just put her in a cat carrier in the coop to keep her safe for the night. I should of just kept the rooster out but, felt bad and for safety reasons. I am re-homing him tomorrow.  I'll follow up with this post tomorrow. Hope she makes it through the night.

I hope she makes it thru the night too :( poor thing! I picked up a new hen today and have her segregated inside the coop. She is like Hudini! She got out twice! I was witness to the second escape and wanted to see what everyone did. First one over was my most mature roo and he gave her quite a thunk on the head! Then about 5 hens all came rushing over and one took a mouthful of feathers off her back. Luckily I was able to scoop her up and get her back into her part but now I'm scared to let her out!
If you read the forum about emergencies/illness (I think that's what it's called) there is some excellent information to help your injured hen. I have found people to be extremely knowledgable and helpful on this site. Good luck with your girl and I look forward to hearing how she is doing tomorrow :)
Susie

Hi Chicken Mimi,

I've had a few bantam roosters before but had to rehome them due to their crowing, so I've never really had to deal with an overly-hormonal roo. However, it seems that maybe the rooster was too heavy for the hen (you said she was a bantam, right?) and sort of squished her while he was doing his thing? That's the only thing I can figure out...

Oh, and you said the hen's face was swollen. What do you mean? Was it bleeding or discolored?

Hello, I just went in to check on water and feed for the night and noticed my small bantam hen limping with the left side of her face swollen. I checked her over and she doesn't appear to have broken her leg, seems more in her hip area.  Feathers missing in her neck area. As I observed every one coming in, last one being the rooster, she squelched and ran/hobbled to the other side of the coop. Yup, seems good ole Randy ( you *******!) rooster has taken his way with the lil tiny Miss Sophia! My question, has anyone ever dealt with an over derived hormone rooster before? I have locked Mr Hormone outside until I get a better understanding. They're ages are all about 12 - 14 months old . 

You’re looking at them and I’m not. They are living animals so they don’t come with guarantees and her reaction to him is pretty convincing that he did something. I’m pretty much convinced.

Usually by 12 to 14 months they are way beyond that mad hormone rush and have settled into adult behavior, both male and female. I don’t know how much size difference there is. Many people keep regular-sized roosters with bantam hens without a problem, but the more difference in size there is the more likely there can be a problem during mating. The size difference doesn’t explain the damage to her head though.

I wasn’t there watching so I’m obviously guessing. It sounds like she actively resisted his advances and he forced her. She didn’t squat properly so she got injured. She kept trying to get away so his grip on her head caused damage there.

His instincts are to dominate every chicken in his flock to maintain his position as flock master. Her instincts should have been to accept his dominance. Something went wrong that should not at that age. You need to decide if it is a hen problem or a rooster problem. I can’t do that for you from here. The only reason you need a rooster if you want fertile eggs. Otherwise it is just personal preference.

A couple of times I’ve had a hen go bareback. These were hens I got from a hatchery, not hatched from my flock. I’m convinced that was because she had brittle feathers so they just broke easily. When I removed that hen from the flock, the bareback problem went away. None of the other hens developed a bare back even with fewer hens in the flock. How could I blame the rooster when removing the hen solved the problem?

You are looking at them, you know your goals and desires, so it has to be your choice. Good luck!

So little Chicken is eating & drinking. Kept rooster away. She still has a hard time walking and her poor little face is still swollen pretty bad. I think she'll do fine and caulk this one up to lessons in raising chickens!

I agree with every thing you said. I am not planning on making money at this, just a small hobby. So a learning step for me. You got it right about her not "wanting" him. Many of times he tried and she always got away. She is a half pint compared to the other hens & him, and I can totally see her squirming away from his advances and causing these injuries. I have 9 baby chicks, 4 hens ( one broody hen). I think I'll be good for the time being. I can give the rooster a good home. Thanks for the insight and I'm sure I'll be back asking about something!

Hi everyone, I'm still new at this web site so bare with me until I can figure out how to reply to each question, The left side of her face swollen, no blood and eye swollen shut.

Last edited:
Hope Houdini kept well Susie, made me chuckle as I can see someone trying to catch a chicken inside with all the commotion going on.

Thanks Chicken Mimi! Well we let her out with the others yesterday and she was getting picked on a bit. She is such a sweetie and a people person! She will not leave me alone! The whole time I am around her she has to be on me. She flew up onto my shoulder and there she sat untill I had to go make dinner! She is doing great and is not being bothered too much :)

my rooster is mean to the other roos hens. he will spur them and pull feathers and run them away. they all free range. he is not this way to "his" h ens. the other roos is a bantam and he never is mean to any of the hens. the big roo has never been mean to any people. seems like he should be trying to win over the other roos hens but he isn't. he will chase the little roo if he gets too close. is there something wrong with the big roo? i have never had one do this before . he is 16 months old.

I have TWO young roo's (4months old) and they are doing this same thing. They are tag teaming my hens and it's a brutal sight!! I think I am going to rehome both of them asap. If I could only find someone who wants a roo!

Back
Top Bottom