Rooster being Odd/Crowing Issues

SeramaMama1

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Louisiana
I have a Serama rooster. Though I am not quite sure of his exact age, he isn't much older than five months old.

He is usually a very friendly guy. He lets you hold him and pet him and even craves attention. But today when I took him out of his coop to have some fun running around the loft he bit me.

He's been biting me since then too, every time I go to pick him up. Normally I would just scoop him up from the front, but now I have to lift him by holding on to his sides because he bites me if I don't...

He doesn't have a hen, but we are hoping to get one within the week. ((Not sure though.))

He also crows ALL DAY LONG unless someone is with him. Is there any way to get him to limit his crowing?

All help is greatly appreciated. This is my first time owning a chicken. I wanted to make sure this SUDDEN behavior change didn't have a deeper, more serious meaning.

He also seems to be obsessed with his reflection. Is this normal?

His constant crowing could be loneliness...he's trying to locate other chickens...the aggression just sounds like his hormones are kicking in. That is usually how it happens, they are nice one day then the next day they start acting like a true roo.

He is coming into breeding age and showing aggression. If he were mine I would remind him who is boss. The crowing issue, he is a rooster and thats part of what they do.

Quote:
I agree with EllyMae, the little fella is lonely. You need a hen or two! You would enjoy watching how well he adjusts to the role of a big cocky rooster....they are great with their hens. Both gentle and protective over them and their chicks.

Sounds like the little killer is maturing. Lacking a real woman of his own, you are a substitute in his little bird brain. The crowing is merely an extention of his labido. Whether or not the addition of his type of woman will change his attitude toward you, is entirely up to him, but I would say you have at least a 50/50 chance. Roosters at that age are as clmmsey and horney as teenage boys. He should be a gentleman by his first birthday.

Back
Top Bottom