Rooster 'biting' hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheHalfWayCoop, Aug 22, 2011.

1. TheHalfWayCoop

TheHalfWayCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    We have a tiny flock of four silkies that came from the same breeder, they're between 16-18 weeks old now. Our golden one just started crowing loud and clear, so we have a rooster, and the other three I believe are hens (until they too start crowing [​IMG] ). Tonight I had the hens out one at a time because the kids like to hold them on their laps, when I had them all back in their pen the rooster went to each one and grabbed them by the neck making the squack and throwing them to the ground and holding them there until I pulled him off. This didn't look anything mating related as he wasn't trying to mount at all. Is this his way of restablishing that he's the alpha rooster or the like, or should I be concerned that he's going to injure of them intentionally? We were hoping to pick up two more hens from another breeder tomorrow, but if this is the way he's acting with his little flock he might not need a bigger one.

Thank you!

Jenn

2. Hucklekree

Hucklekree Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    Enumclaw
    Think of his age right now with that of a 16 year old male. He's clueless with the ladies but rearing to go. He's got to work the kinks out of his new found urges. The hens will be fine and he'll figure out the mating business...eventually. If he seems like he's hurting the hens-causing bleeding, ripping out feathers-you may want to seperate them until the hormone surge wanes or get a new rooster if it's too traumatic. My advice though is give him some time. It sounds like he's trying to get the hang of his 'desires'. [​IMG]

3. Kaelinstorm

Kaelinstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Lampasas
    [​IMG] Funny but true story [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by