Rooster boy constantly swallowing - help

kcan2

Free Ranging
Oct 18, 2019
MI
I cannot figure this one out. My bantam boy keeps swallowing and head shaking constantly. Something is really bugging him. I don't think it's gapeworms as he has been wormed with Safeguard - 5 days, full dose. My other chicken is not doing this. I switched their feed from crumbles to pellets, tried cleaning all of the diatomaceous earth out of their indoor food/coop. They do have a sand bath, grit, and oyster, plenty of water and food. They are indoors and have pine shavings in their coop.

Could it be the pine shavings irritating him? It's about the only thing I haven't tried to switch out. He has been struggling with this since October. Eating and drinking fine.

Thanks for any input!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220205-164521_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220205-164521_Gallery.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot_20220205-164524_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220205-164524_Gallery.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 6
How does his crop feel? Does it empty by morning? If he has any respiratory symptoms or mucus from his nostrils, or eye bubbles or drainage? They can have mucus drain in the back of the throat and swallow frequently. Gaping and head shaking can also be a sign of a crop problem.

How does his crop feel? Does it empty by morning? If he has any respiratory symptoms or mucus from his nostrils, or eye bubbles or drainage? They can have mucus drain in the back of the throat and swallow frequently. Gaping and head shaking can also be a sign of a crop problem.
Thanks for the reply, his crop does always empty by morning but it feels harder throughout the day than my hen's crop (her crop does seem squishier than his).

Be it that it is a crop issue, can I give him anything to help him out?

No eye bubbles, just brown crusty buildup around his nostrils. Could long-term exposure to woodchips be a possible irritant, causing the swallowing? The brown stuff is evident around his nostrils/comb area in the attached screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220205-182043_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20220205-182043_Video Player.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 7
If his crop empties every morning, he probably doesn’t have a crop problem. If he has crust around his nostrils, he may be having some nasal drainage which could be a respiratory disease or irritation from something. Pine shavings are fine. Make sure that you have good ventilation in the coop overhead. Ammonia fumes from droppings or dust can irritate the nasal passages. Is there any mold or moisture?

If his crop empties every morning, he probably doesn’t have a crop problem. If he has crust around his nostrils, he may be having some nasal drainage which could be a respiratory disease or irritation from something. Pine shavings are fine. Make sure that you have good ventilation in the coop overhead. Ammonia fumes from droppings or dust can irritate the nasal passages. Is there any mold or moisture?
Well, their coop is parked in the garage for the winter, I did have a box fan for cool air circulation going out there but did remove it around the time he started this behavior due to cooler weather. Do you think I should put the fan back out there? The garage is holding around 35-40° to keep their water from freezing.

Well, their coop is parked in the garage for the winter, I did have a box fan for cool air circulation going out there but did remove it around the time he started this behavior due to cooler weather. Do you think I should put the fan back out there? The garage is holding around 35-40° to keep their water from freezing.
I would give them ventilation and fresh air.

The actions he displays, I would still re-check his crop first thing in the morning before he's had anything to eat/drink to make sure it's empty/flat.

I would give them ventilation and fresh air.

The actions he displays, I would still re-check his crop first thing in the morning before he's had anything to eat/drink to make sure it's empty/flat.
Copy that on the ventilation, thank you both very much. Honestly I have a hard time finding his crop most of the time, but will check it again tomorrow AM.

Besides ACV and plain yogurt, if there is anything else I can do to help remedy a potential crop issue?

Giving a teaspoon of coconut oil won't hurt anything.
Put it in the fridge to harden it up, break it into small pieces and let him eat it. My birds love coconut oil.

You may want to look inside his ears just to rule out ear infection and take another look inside the beak for obstruction or yellow/white pasty material as well.

Keep us posted and let us know if he improves once you add more ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom