Rooster boy constantly swallowing - help

After closely watching today, I believe a hen may be "overgrooming" the rooster's head and neck area so his feathers are getting stripped and tattered. At least it may not be related to the swallowing issue. Has anyone had success in stopping this behavior, and how?

Sorry this has been continuous, I do appreciate all of the help.

My chickens are out in my yard everyday, rain or sun. So there always wandering around looking for bugs or plants to munch on.

This gives them some open space to be away from others if they need too. So I never had any social disorders with my chickens.

Being confined on ther hand could cause a bit of stress and boredom for them and they can react in a negative way towards each other.

Well that's what I noticed keeping chickens anyway.

I don't see anything concerning with the preening gland.
The hen grooming him is normal, but she may do it more since they are confined to a smaller space right now. Hopefully this will resolve when you can get them back outside.

Still dealing with this issue despite adding ventilation and clearing his nose of debris. Could a possible crop issue be ongoing for this long extended period of time (about 6mo now)?

Picked him up today when he was head shaking and swallowing and his crop seemed pretty hard. Will monitor overnight. However, if this is a persistent crop issue, what can I do to treat and eradicate? I've read many things, including coconut oil, mineral oil, dulcolax, yeast infection creams...none of which I'm sure how to administer without choking him.

Wanted to update this thread to let anyone know that this is seemingly turning out to be an ear infection issue, which was suggested early on.
There was no external sign of ear problems, but upon treating him with a combination of peroxide, Lotrimin cream, and polysporin, I pulled this out of his ear yesterday:
20220807_204212.jpg

New updated thread is here:
Ear infection thread

Thanks to everyone, hoping to finally get this mystery nipped!

Wanted to update this thread to let anyone know that this is seemingly turning out to be an ear infection issue, which was suggested early on.
There was no external sign of ear problems, but upon treating him with a combination of peroxide, Lotrimin cream, and polysporin, I pulled this out of his ear yesterday:
View attachment 3216165

New updated thread is here:
Ear infection thread

Thanks to everyone, hoping to finally get this mystery nipped!
Glad you figured it out.
Hope he starts getting better now.

Back
Top Bottom