Rooster Breed Aggression Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClareScifi

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Do crossbred roosters tend to be more aggressive/feisty than purebred roosters?

Also, do white leghorn roosters tend to be more on the aggressive end of the scale or the gentle end?

Same question as to easter egger roosters? Aggressive or gentle?

I'm interested in rooster breed genetics in regards to how aggressive the various breeds mentioned tend to be? Thanks for your help.

In my experience, yes...I've had a red star roo and black star roo that were both extremely aggressive but I have a SLW and Dark Cornish now that are very sweet and gentle..Also I have a Naked Neck who is about a year old and mixed, that is showing signs of aggression but I suppose a rooster's aggression is a combination of nature and nurture...People tend to tease them thinking its funny when a rooster rushes the fence but once out its a different matter..Leghorn roosters I've heard from breeders could/can be some what aggressive..EEs on the other hand I've heard are sweet boys.

Thanks for the info, Lacey.

How do Buff Orpington roosters rate on the aggression/gentleness scale? Anyone know?

I have a large White rock rooster that is the gentlest rooster ever. He is also an older roo so that makes a difference. I also have a silkie rooster that is young that is also sweet and gentle. I am not sure what makes a rooster act aggressively. And I wouldn't mind having a slightly more aggressive rooster. I would like one that will chase things away from the chickens, and I don't quite have "a stand and face it" rooster. I have 2 "run something is coming" roosters.

People have to realize chickens are not the smartest creatures around and they mostly go on instinct rather then training. They could have good breeding and raised properly and still flog you.

I have Aseel... and i guess Aseel Roos are the most aggressive roos i have ever seen in my life.. :p yesterday my aseel roo had a fight with a cat :p and guess what, the cat ran away after 5 mins fight :p

I agree with you, Lacey. I think it mostly has to do with genetics.

My SO and I argue about this. He says I spoiled the rooster, coddled him too much.

Well, this rooster was as sweet as could be, very gentle and tame, until his hormones hit. Even the vet I took him to when he was 4 months old commented on what a very good boy he was.

But then, when he got his hormones, he became a very different boy.

As far as roosters go, when it comes to protecting/defending his hens, he is excellent. Very vigilant, alert, aware, caring. He gets concerned and panicky if any of his girls go out of sight. He's kind to the Bantie, even though she's too small to mate with him, so she serves him no real purpose other than being an object of extreme beauty and a friend.

But he is feisty with me. I think he is still quite upset that I turned out to be a non-hen. He imprinted on me and thought I was his girl. I think it was a terrible disappointment to him when he realized I am not of his species, so he's feisty with me to try to still turn me into a mate, but I think he knows it is really never going to work. :>)

I had a very aggressive cockrel. we couldn't go out into the garden without taking something to guard us with, but I loved him with all my heart. he was such a cute little cockerel. he was a bantam, which makes the whole story different. I suppose it wuld b much harder if he wasn't a bantam

also one of his children (a hen) can be aggressive at times. I researched about it and found out it could be genetics, but she started acting aggressively after she was broody, so there are a lot of factors that can cause aggressive behaviour

Now Im sure someone is going to disagree or get mad with what Im going to say but here it goes.

If a Rooster attack for no good reason other than you were where he was at the time then he is no good and needs to be dealt with. Know I have had some mean Roosters over the years but not one of them would attack me or anyone else unless he was provoked to do so in one way or another.

g Chris g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom