Rooster Breed Aggression Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never had a rooster flog me except for a Silver Sebright roo. He was one of several Roos in my flock at the time, including his brother. His brother actually stopped him from launching at me on more than one occasion. Of course, they were hatchery chicks so they might not have been brothers at all; probably not, because George had some non-Sebright feathering and Alex was perfectly feathered. I worked with George quite regularly, walking him backwards, carrying him around, etc. He stopped attacking ME, but not visitors. Men seemed to think it was funny to trigger his aggression - an eight inch rooster flogging their ankles was such sport. <I><*sigh*></I>

Unfortunately, both Alex and George had to be re-homed due to their crowing (neighbor issues).

But NONE of my large fowl roosters (or any other bantam Roos) have ever treated me with less than respect. I know Carl my dominant roo will get antsy if something I do with one of his ladies makes them squawk, and he'll approach and make warning sounds, but I reassure them both as much as possible. He just keeps a watchful eye on me and what I do with his hen(s). I respect that about HIM.

He's over three years old and has been a good role model for younger Roos that get to stay in the flock. Oh - he's an EE.

Interesting, gryeyes.

I was considering getting a Silver Sebright roo for my little Bantie hen of that breed, but I have heard they can be very feisty, and I wouldn't want the competition between one and my Baby.

Isn't he a gorgeous boy? What breed might you guess him to be? His father was supposedly a white leghorn rooster, according to the farmer who gave me his egg, but I don't see white leghorn in him? Do you? His sister is definitely half white leghorn, at his side. They are enjoying a bowl of yogurt together.

ZC

Oh, I do see some White LH in him: the tall points on his comb and the white tail feathers. His momma must have been a dual-purpose breed, because he's beefier than the WLH rooster I had for a while. Mine died defending his flock, as far as I could tell (I came home and found him dead, with evidence of a struggle).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom