Rooster Bullying

Jayare411

Hatching
Jan 9, 2021
Reading, Pa
15 chickens are just over 6months old, and the hens just started laying eggs. All of them got along somewhat ok - until we started getting eggs. The rooster will not let most of the hens into the coop at night. The coop is 4x8 with 6 laying boxes. The outdoor run 20x50 (fenced and netted) with plenty of roosts and make shift dog house. I originally was going to harvest the rooster since it wasnt planned - but he started to grow on us with its unique personality.
I know the coop could be a bit tight for them - I am planning on putting in a new roost inside the coop to give additional night time room, but any suggestions or ideas are needed (As this seemed strange as it didn’t start until they all started laying eggs).

The coop seems a bit small for 15 birds. The most I would really keep in that coop is around half that. This may certainly be a factor. However if your run is fenced and netted in a predator proof way is it bad if some sleep outside?

Another thing to consider...each bird should have around 1 foot of space to roost. Are you providing that?

Also, welcome to BYC!

Hmm, the only thing I can think of is there might be a roo among the hens so they've separated flocks. Or he just keeps his favorites in with him. That's about the size of coop and flock thst I have, I have
L shaped roost bars.

The coop seems a bit small for 15 birds. The most I would really keep in that coop is around half that. This may certainly be a factor. However if your run is fenced and netted in a predator proof way is it bad if some sleep outside?

Another thing to consider...each bird should have around 1 foot of space to roost. Are you providing that?

Also, welcome to BYC!
The indoor roost is about as long as the coop, so it’s around 8 foot.

(As this seemed strange as it didn’t start until they all started laying eggs).
Pullets nearing laying age, as well as new layers are often cranky due to hormones. Add the usual nightly roost scuffle along with a small coop so it isn't too surprising to find some that want to perch outside. What is the cockerel doing? Is he chasing some of them from the coop?

Pullets nearing laying age, as well as new layers are often cranky due to hormones. Add the usual nightly roost scuffle along with a small coop so it isn't too surprising to find some that want to perch outside. What is the cockerel doing? Is he chasing some of them from the coop?
Yeah, if they go in he chases them out... it is usually the same ones every night.

Yeah, if they go in he chases them out... it is usually the same ones every night.

Since the coop is too small and there isn't enough roosting space it seems that the rooster is reserving the best places for his favorite hens. :)

The usual recommendations for space per adult, standard-sized bird are:

4 square feet in the coop
10 square feet in the run
1 linear foot on the perch
1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation

If you show us photos of your coop and run and let us know your general location (best to put it in your profile), we can help you make adjustments to your setup so that everyone will be happy and healthy. :)

We once had a coop that was about 4 x 6 inside and I think we had 12-14 birds in it. It was before we knew that's too small and it was tight but none of the birds complained. There was one 6-foot roost near a wall and one right down the middle, which meant it blocked the door. It was removeable and the end toward the door rested in a notch in the end of a 1 x 4 that pivoted at the door frame with the other (roost) end supported by a piece of rope.

Back
Top Bottom