Rooster butt feathers. Help!

Kchicken1988

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2019
Please help me. What’s going on with my roosters butt feathers. Some of them look like they are broken in half. He’s bleeding.
I sadly don’t trust him so I don’t know how I can help him.

Attachments

• 7F44E9C7-3A80-4935-B89F-8B04072A9877.jpeg
    7F44E9C7-3A80-4935-B89F-8B04072A9877.jpeg
    477.6 KB · Views: 45
  • B5D45811-520C-4201-8B20-E77CA426D86F.jpeg
    B5D45811-520C-4201-8B20-E77CA426D86F.jpeg
    487.8 KB · Views: 22
That looks like a predator attack to me. Yet broken feathers can bleed, is he being picked at by another bird? At night go into the coop with a towel and grab him off the roost, they cant see well and an attack is highly unlikely. The towel will help protect you from spurs and pecks, hold him backwards with face to your back.. under your arm and you should be able to look and see what is going on. At least clean it up and find out why. Best of luck.. be brave, you can do it!:thumbsup

I was thinking predator attack to. But. The only free range once a week and always get locked up at night. So I don’t know how or when this happened.
This isn’t molting ?

I got close enough today to look at it. And the feathers def. are broken in half and bleeding.
Should I clean this?

If you have a Cock, you have the responsibility of his care. @Rietta has advize I have used previously.
I’m new to chickens. So I’m still figuring everything out.
Just in the past two weeks he’s been trying to show me who’s boss. In the am he won’t even let me get near the hens. He will stand in my way and won’t let me go past. He will even claw at the ground.
I’ve looked up ways to show him that I’m the boss and so far doesn’t seem like they have worked

I was thinking predator attack to. But. The only free range once a week and always get locked up at night. So I don’t know how or when this happened.
This isn’t molting ?

I got close enough today to look at it. And the feathers def. are broken in half and bleeding.
Should I clean this?
I am not sure, but I think if they are broken and bleeding, you are supposed to pluck them out so that they do not continue to bleed.

Please help me. What’s going on with my roosters butt feathers. Some of them look like they are broken in half. He’s bleeding.
I sadly don’t trust him so I don’t know how I can help him.
Likely it's a broken blood feather, you will want to catch him up and pull it out to stop the bleeding.
All that blood, I would worry very much that the hens will begin to pick at him - this will create a wound.

I'm sorry that you don't "trust" him? Catch him, swaddle him in a towel to capture his wings and get a better look at what's going on. If you need to pull the feather, a pair of pliers will work well. Flush the area clear of blood with warm water or saline. If there's no wounds and it's stopped bleeding, put him back.

I am not surprised he is standing between you and the hens, mine does as well. I use a plastic leaf rake as a barrier between him and I if he is in "a mood. " which is always :D
I have for sure found that handing them in the dark is safest. I would hate t have to pull feathers, but it has to be done. Also I wouldn't try to dominate him, he will just see you as competition for his ladies. I try to just be calm and quiet, offer treats and respect his space. But never fall for his tid-bitting mine tries to lure me all the time:gig
DSCN0114.JPG
Colonel Sanders The Lavender Ameraucana

Back
Top Bottom