Rooster can’t stand

Miss juniper

Hatching
Feb 20, 2020
Hi, I’m stumped about my rooster. He’s going to be a year old next month and last Friday he couldn’t stand up and was limping around. He’s been loosing feathers since October. It started with his tail feathers then this neck feathers. Now I have his separated from our hens. I just fed him about 30ml of electrolyte water with a syringe and as of yesterday he was still eating. I checked over for any lice and I can’t seem to see any signs of it. After I fed him the water he started gurgling he seems to have what looks like dust around his nose. One eye color seems to be red and the other a honey color. I can’t remember if his eyes were always like this because I always pick him up on my left side and only see his right eye. I put Vaseline on his legs. And gave him scrambled eggs yesterday. I live in a rural town and we don’t have much for back yard chickens. Any insight will be much appreciated. Not sure what else to do.

Hi, I’m stumped about my rooster. He’s going to be a year old next month and last Friday he couldn’t stand up and was limping around. He’s been loosing feathers since October. It started with his tail feathers then this neck feathers. Now I have his separated from our hens. I just fed him about 30ml of electrolyte water with a syringe and as of yesterday he was still eating. I checked over for any lice and I can’t seem to see any signs of it. After I fed him the water he started gurgling he seems to have what looks like dust around his nose. One eye color seems to be red and the other a honey color. I can’t remember if his eyes were always like this because I always pick him up on my left side and only see his right eye. I put Vaseline on his legs. And gave him scrambled eggs yesterday. I live in a rural town and we don’t have much for back yard chickens. Any insight will be much appreciated. Not sure what else to do.
I'm sorry to hear about your rooster, your definitely doing everything right so far. Have you tried providing extra calcium into his diet? You could feed him oyster shell and grit. But I would definitely incorporate alfalfa into his diet. Alfalfa provides a good amount of healthy calcium for birds. As far as any other advice keep giving him electrolytes and more protein like dried meal worms. I hope someone with more insight can chime in and provide some other points I may have left out. In general, incorporate more calcium into your roos diet.

Usually roosters do not need extra calcium in the diet as a laying hen does—unless he has not been fed a balanced chicken feed or has rickets or leg deformity. Sorry that he is having difficulty. Do you have another rooster? Have the hens been picking on him or keeping him away from water or food? Since his eyes are different colors, it would be hood to see pictures of each, and possibly one of him.

When he limps around, does he hold a leg up or put it down or drag it? I am a little worried about Mareks disease, but I am not a vte or an authority on it. Was he vaccinated as a chick? Can you offer him some watery chicken feed and a little egg or tuna? Does your electrolyte water contain vitamins? Be careful forcing fluids, but try to hold a cup up to his beak. Keep him warm. Answering some of the questions might be helpful.

Usually roosters do not need extra calcium in the diet as a laying hen does—unless he has not been fed a balanced chicken feed or has rickets or leg deformity. Sorry that he is having difficulty. Do you have another rooster? Have the hens been picking on him or keeping him away from water or food? Since his eyes are different colors, it would be hood to see pictures of each, and possibly one of him.

When he limps around, does he hold a leg up or put it down or drag it? I am a little worried about Mareks disease, but I am not a vte or an authority on it. Was he vaccinated as a chick? Can you offer him some watery chicken feed and a little egg or tuna? Does your electrolyte water contain vitamins? Be careful forcing fluids, but try to hold a cup up to his beak. Keep him warm. Answering some of the questions might be helpful.
im getting worried he just pooped a very watery green poop. He’s eating the egg and I have scratch out there for him. He’s under a heat light in the garage in his old brooding pen.ill go out again to try and get some pictures

No other rooster, yes the hens have been picking at him we had to remove several tail blood feathers. He doesn’t drag his leg but hops around. I’m not sure if he’s vaccinated. I made a homemade electrolyte with no salt baking soda salt and sugar and I added a tbsp of ACV.

If he is injured, it would help to have him rest his leg inside a pen or dog crate with food and water. He could spend some time with the others in his crate if he gets lonely and to keep them all familiar. Usually with Mareks disease an eye can lose color in the iris and gradually become grey, or the pupil may look pinpoint or irregular because of iris changes.

It’s been a week and he is still sitting on his elbows. He is eating and drinking fine when he stands up he stands with both legs and he hops. He’s not dragging any leg behind. I’ve been giving him vitamins and electrolytes. How should I get him to walk again I don’t want his legs to get atrophied

Have you been giving ing riboflavin or B2? What vitamin product are you using? That is important to use in leg problems in chickens.

Last edited:
Have you been fiving riboflavin or B2? What vitamin product are you using? That is important to use in leg problems in chickens.
I’ve been giving 2 tbsp ACV in water and a homemade electrolyte in water. I’m going to the store today to get a poly vi sol.

Back
Top Bottom