Rooster cant walk after attack

xrispage123

Hatching
Jul 28, 2021
Something attacked my chickens 3 weeks ago. I found my rooster unable to walk. Moved him inside at night and in an isolated pen outside during the day for fresh air. The 1st couple days when we looked him over we never saw anything. Today he let me put him on his back and go through his feathers. I found this spot above his vent and below breast bone and I think it looks like a protruding bone. Not sure how I can tell if he's in pain, it's not obvious if he is. He eats and drinks still and uses his wings to get around a little.

Attachments

• 20210728_170235.jpg
    20210728_170235.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210728_170214.jpg
    20210728_170214.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 11
Disinfect the wound and use neosporin in a thin layer. It looks like the sternum, the skin that covered it looked ripped before and started to heal. Keep him confined till he's able to walk properly, during this time keep a close observation of anything new that might occur with him.

Disinfect the wound and use neosporin in a thin layer. It looks like the sternum, the skin that covered it looked ripped before and started to heal. Keep him confined till he's able to walk properly, during this time keep a close observation of anything new that might occur with him.

Thank you!! So this is probably not the reason for him not walking correct? I'm wanting to give him time to hopefully recover the use of his leg(s) one leg seems dead in the foot/ankle? Region but he has sensation in the thigh a but any idea how long is too long to wait before I know he won't get any better. And if he can't walk ever then would it be the right thing to put him down or can he live as we've been doing with me carrying him in and out. He seems good in spirits as far as I can tell and he does use his wings to try to get around some.

i have a 6 month old cochin bantam rooster and in the morning he suddenly had a limp on one leg i pressed under his feet he had weak response he was fine when i locked him up for the night i dont know what has happened to him i would love some help he eats fine and drinks too

Back
Top Bottom