Rooster can't walk

Can he move either leg or wings? Has he been drinking normally up to yesterday? How are his droppings--any runny poops or blood in them? Was he vaccinated for anything? Some things that may cause paralysis can be botulism from eating a toxin produced in rotting animal carcasses or buried vegetation, mold in feed, chemicals or lead poisoning, dehydration, or severe coccidiosis.
Mareks is usually suspected, and the symptoms can vary in every animal. Many have weakness or paralysis in one or both legs or wings, a twisted neck, and there can be eye changes or tumors inside or on the body. Giving liquids with vitamins and electrolytes, such as in SaveAChick, can help to get him built up if it is simply dehydration. If he dies, it would benefit you to refrigerate his body in a plastic bag, and contact your state vet today to arrange for a necropsy to look for Mareks or another cause. People sometimes are shocked to find out that Mareks is not always the cause when paralysis is involved.

Can he move either leg or wings? Has he been drinking normally up to yesterday? How are his droppings--any runny poops or blood in them? Was he vaccinated for anything? Some things that may cause paralysis can be botulism from eating a toxin produced in rotting animal carcasses or buried vegetation, mold in feed, chemicals or lead poisoning, dehydration, or severe coccidiosis.
Mareks is usually suspected, and the symptoms can vary in every animal. Many have weakness or paralysis in one or both legs or wings, a twisted neck, and there can be eye changes or tumors inside or on the body. Giving liquids with vitamins and electrolytes, such as in SaveAChick, can help to get him built up if it is simply dehydration. If he dies, it would benefit you to refrigerate his body in a plastic bag, and contact your state vet today to arrange for a necropsy to look for Mareks or another cause. People sometimes are shocked to find out that Mareks is not always the cause when paralysis is involved.

He cannot move either leg, I don't think he can move his wings either but they do move with his seizure like activity. He has been drinking normally as far as I can tell. He has had runny poops. He was wormed about a month ago. No blood in poop. He has hatched by a broody gen and didn't not receive any vaccines. I have never had mereks in any of my flocks before. No new birds.
I have looked around my yard for mold and dead carcasses. Feed is fresh and looks good. I have an email to the state lab to see about euthanasia and necropsy but I hate to give up on him without knowing for sure what's going on. His is my favorite bird.
Can they recover from botulism or toxins?
Thank you for helping me!

I got a response from the Utah state veterinarian diagnostic laboratory.
The fee for the euthanasia and necropsy is $38. This fee does not includes bacteriology and other ancillary tests that may be necessary to reach a diagnosis. Most chicken necropsy end up costing between $38 and $80. Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions.

Now I just need to make a decision:(

He cannot move either leg, I don't think he can move his wings either but they do move with his seizure like activity. He has been drinking normally as far as I can tell. He has had runny poops. He was wormed about a month ago. No blood in poop. He has hatched by a broody gen and didn't not receive any vaccines. I have never had mereks in any of my flocks before. No new birds.
I have looked around my yard for mold and dead carcasses. Feed is fresh and looks good. I have an email to the state lab to see about euthanasia and necropsy but I hate to give up on him without knowing for sure what's going on. His is my favorite bird.
Can they recover from botulism or toxins?
Thank you for helping me!

My ability to get on BYC has been difficult due to some problem with the website or my computer, sorry. A limber or paralyzed neck can be a main sign of botulism, when paralysis of the extremeties is involved. Seizures and paralysis can be signs of mold poisoning. I would give him electrolytes, vitamins in his water and selenium for possible mold toxin. Give him fluids with a syringe or dropper, or hold a spoon to his beak if he can swallow. Tube feeding can be done to keep him going, but seizures really don't sound very good. You can try to get the basic necropsy at least if possible if he dies or you put him down. That might give a cause of death or possibly point to Mareks even if the more expensive part is not done. Please keep us updated, and I wish you luck.

My ability to get on BYC has been difficult due to some problem with the website or my computer, sorry. A limber or paralyzed neck can be a main sign of botulism, when paralysis of the extremeties is involved. Seizures and paralysis can be signs of mold poisoning. I would give him electrolytes, vitamins in his water and selenium for possible mold toxin. Give him fluids with a syringe or dropper, or hold a spoon to his beak if he can swallow. Tube feeding can be done to keep him going, but seizures really don't sound very good. You can try to get the basic necropsy at least if possible if he dies or you put him down. That might give a cause of death or possibly point to Mareks even if the more expensive part is not done. Please keep us updated, and I wish you luck.

Thank you! I had a hard time getting on the forum also. My husband said no to paying for a necropsy unless we have a second case. I can understand his point of view. I can't think of anywhere he could find mold but I plan to do a good check of my yard. The only thing I can think of is fruit that fell from my pear tree.
When I got home from work and checked on him, his butt was covered in poop and looking irritated so I washed him and made him a sling. In the process I observed he can move his wings, he has no feeling in his legs, the legs are completely floppy not stiff, and I didn't see him seize but I'm not sure if the seizures are done or not.
He has food and electrolyte water within reach. He ete a egg this morning and mealworms this afternoon. If I don't see improvement in a day or two I will put him down. Unless you think I should give it more time?

Back
Top Bottom