Rooster Care

Kisune

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2015
Nevada
I have a year-old rooster that (I think) is a Rhode Island Red and Plymouth Rock cross. Recently I noticed the skin of his comb has been flaking. I live in Reno so the air is pretty dry, but I wanted to ask if that's anything I should worry about. He isn't for show or anything, I got him by chance from mixed chicks so he's my first. This is the best picture he'd let me get of him.

Attachments

• 20171123_120743.jpg
    20171123_120743.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 6
He's handsome:)

It looks like he has a small pecking wound/scab. The back of the comb has a small amount of white which could be dryness or skin coloring from healing from an injury. It looks like he's molting as well.

Personally, I would leave the comb alone, it should be fine.
If you feel that you must do something, you can put a dab of coconut oil on the white area.

I have a year-old rooster that (I think) is a Rhode Island Red and Plymouth Rock cross. Recently I noticed the skin of his comb has been flaking. I live in Reno so the air is pretty dry, but I wanted to ask if that's anything I should worry about. He isn't for show or anything, I got him by chance from mixed chicks so he's my first. This is the best picture he'd let me get of him.
Very cool rooster!

He's handsome:)

It looks like he has a small pecking wound/scab. The back of the comb has a small amount of white which could be dryness or skin coloring from healing from an injury. It looks like he's molting as well.

Personally, I would leave the comb alone, it should be fine.
If you feel that you must do something, you can put a dab of coconut oil on the white area.

Okay, thank you so much! He did have some scabbing on his comb a bit ago, but they were healing fine so it didn't worry me.

Back
Top Bottom