Rooster chased my son *UPDATE pg 4*

Quote:
I'd suggest a Supersoaker. Don't mess around!

Better yet, pull out the .410 and put the kid's safety first! That behavior is passed on so the only way to rid yourself of that danger is to get rid of the rooster. Don't "rehome"... just feed it to your dog if you won't eat it yourself.

I'm curious...why would a vegetarian need chickens?

I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian. (milk and eggs)
wink.png

By the way, after the incident I asked my son if he'd like me to find a new home for the rooster and he said no. Tomorrow I'll be giving my son a broom to arm himself with, but I don't think he'll want to go outside while the chickens are free ranging anyway.

I didn't read any of the other posts here but the first couple. I have two young boys and they are more important to me than my roo. And I do love my roo. But my kids are first.

If you are not willing to cull and eat your roo, that's understandable. You've watched him grow up. He's your pet. He probably does a good job watching over the girls and such. Fine. Than maybe you could sell him on craigslist or another site.

Quote:
You are a parent first and a vegetarian second. Protect your child and get rid of a dangerous animal before it scars or torments your son. Roosters go for the eyes/face of children very often.

I am honestly pretty disgusted with any person who allows dangerous animals around their children. First sign of real aggression and it needs to go. I don’t care if its chicken, dog, cat, or horse, if they are threatening once to a child there is ALWAYS a danger. Children are small and pretty much helpless. They can not defend or protect themselves. That is your job as a parent. I would get rid of the rooster.

Young children and roosters do not mix. The rooster is a good height to take out a child's eyes and I think your PR roo could jump up to a 6 yr olds eyes. I never, ever allow kids around my roosters here because it'simply not worth the risk, even with my very calm, even-tempered roosters I have here.

I also think that it's wrong to make a human-aggressive rooster someone else's problem and I hope you would make the potential new owner fully informed about his tendencies.

Trust me, you may not cull him, but someone else will.

Wow. People can be quite harsh when it comes to this aren't they? Of course I'm a parent first and would do ANYTHING for my children. If that bird were to attack one of them I'd kick that darn bird clear across the yard! It hasn't happened and I think I can work on the situation, but if it gets worse then the rooster is out of here. I already know someone who would take him and let him live out his life on her farm.

Quote:
sometimes, but you did ask for advice

moms are vindictively protective of their children, and non-vegitarian dads like fresh chicken for dinner

my response would be to teach your son how to handle himself around the rooster or to re-home the rooster

good luck, hope everything works out well for you

Quote:
Pen it up until you can give it away. Roosters can and will go for the eyes and face. Arming your son with a broom is not protecting him, he’s just a small child who is more likely to drop the broom and run then beat down a chicken. You say you would kick the rooster across the yard if it injured one of your children. The question I ask is why let it get that far? Why not remove the animal from the situation, pen it up, sell it, anything. You said you have someone willing to take the rooster, why wait for something bad to happen, why wait for things to escalate? There are loads of decent well behaved roosters out there. Why worry and wait on this one to explode.

I think you are letting your pride and your personal feelings get in the way of the situation. There are many people with loads of experience that have told you it is not a safe situation for your child to have this rooster around. There are many people that have said sell or pen up the chicken if you cant stand the thought of it being culled. Follow their advice it is good.

I don’t think anyone is trying to call you a bad parent. You are just making decisions that will directly impact the safety of your children and from my standpoint (and the standpoint of all others on this forum) the first priority is the children’s safety, not a nasty animals well being.

Thank you everyone. Based on your replies I've decided to rehome him. He's going to a nice farm with other chickens, goats, and pigs. The owner says she doesn't eat her animals so I'm feeling confident that he'll be happy there. I'm just sooooooooo sad about this.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom