Rooster chases hens every morning!

Seems about right
The others joined my new flock with the cockerels but these 4 hens were staying in the coop or on the roosting bars to avoid the pullets and cockerels. They're living their best life!

Attachments

• 20230725_161631.jpg
    20230725_161631.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 1
Where do I find a good rooster?
My last rooster was good but attacked humans or me. This one likes to make one of bigger comb hens bleed. I watched him peck at her repeatedly. I get the mating thing. I get the feather loss. But the tearing of combs is a bit over the top don't you think? I will give him another chance.
If you have the option of separating the hens with large combs until he's older he may improve his mating skills. He may be having a harder time mating these hens.Are they smaller or bigger than him? My legbars rarely breed my larger hens

I was going through the same thing, I think my post was crazy in the morning. Mine was also a easter egger cockerel and we loved him but he decided he did not like 1 pullet because she would not let him mate her, chased her and when he did catch her pecked her head bloody, I put him in freezer camp that afternoon. I do have to say the girls seem much happier since he has been gone. I don't free range so when he would chase her she couldn't hide out of reach. If I could free range I would of most likely kept him.

Once you get past the adolescent age and he's becomes a good roo, you'll be biting your tongue.
I have 2 roosters in 2 flocks and will never be without a rooster.
Fertile eggs/breeding,oversees flock keeping the together, manages the flock dynamics, warning calls/protection,stops bickering and bullying, waits for all his hens to get in coop at dusk. It's endless the value that a good rooster adds to a flock...

I love my boys.

A good rooster is a joy and will look after the flock. Having experienced good roosters I will never have a flock without a rooster. I also will not tolerate bad or annoying rooster behavior. I have 5 roosters in my flock, 3 Jersey Giants, 1 Bantam Old English Game, and 1 silkie. The Jersey Giants and the Bantam OEG are smart and don't attack people or harass the hens. The silkie is a new addition and will be going to freezer camp soon because he harasses the hens.

A good rooster is a joy and will look after the flock. Having experienced good roosters I will never have a flock without a rooster. I also will not tolerate bad or annoying rooster behavior. I have 5 roosters in my flock, 3 Jersey Giants, 1 Bantam Old English Game, and 1 silkie. The Jersey Giants and the Bantam OEG are smart and don't attack people or harass the hens. The silkie is a new addition and will be going to freezer camp soon because he harasses the hens.
At what age would he settle down? 1 year? 2?
Just curious as our last rooster was good with hens at a year but had to go for attacking people

Truthfully, you don't like this rooster. Cull him. He is not working out in your flock. Just because you randomly got him, is not an obligation to keep him. Cull him humanely and try again. Roosters are a crapshoot, don't keep a rotten one, it keeps you from getting a good one.

Go to the feed store, ask at a poultry club, or 4-h club - there are a lot of good roosters out there, generally for free. Don't waste your time, and let him steal your enjoyment from the chickens because some how you got this boy.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom