Rooster chases hens every morning!

V2vee

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2023
Anyone else’s Rooster go on the rampage first thing in the morning as soon as they are down from the perch? We have 12 hens to 1 rooster and they have over an acre to free range so it’s not lack of space / on top of each other.

He spends about 10 minutes terrorising them (it can be any one of them that is unfortunate enough to be within chasing distance) and he is quite savage with them chasing them down and grabbing them until they stand and let him do his business with them. They are all trying to get away from him then after a couple of victims he goes back to being a perfect gentleman.

Is this normal?!

While it is unfortunate, younger roosters do tend to be a bit wild. There’s not really much you can do, but usually the rooster will calm down once he realises being nice is much easier. A few of my roosters still occasionally chase the hens, but it definitely happened a lot more in the past. As long as he isn’t picking on one hen, or doing this constantly though, there’s not too much of an issue.

Oh yeah. Them young roosters are really randy in the morning.

1697366341232.png

Yes. Some roos are more aggressive than others. It's sounds like they're all fairly young; I've found roos often mellow with age, as they become more secure in their role and outgrow the hormone spurt.
I have the same issue with my new young rooster. He chases the hens then does his thing. The hens don't want to leave the coop. I don't mind that so much but I have a few hens with large combs and he will grab the comb or peck at her comb several times while mating. I chased him off of her and right back to his bachelor den. I am sure he is frustrated. The 7 younger barred rocks will not allow him to mate and will sass back at him. And chase him away. The 4 Rhode islands are his preferred mates. And my oldest hen (New Hampshire Red) who isn't laying so much. And he doesn't mess with the Dominic either.
Thinking I should get rid of him but if time is all he needs. We can try this again. I just don't like seeing him rip the combs to bleeding

I have the same issue with my new young rooster. He chases the hens then does his thing. The hens don't want to leave the coop. I don't mind that so much but I have a few hens with large combs and he will grab the comb or peck at her comb several times while mating. I chased him off of her and right back to his bachelor den. I am sure he is frustrated. The 7 younger barred rocks will not allow him to mate and will sass back at him. And chase him away. The 4 Rhode islands are his preferred mates. And my oldest hen (New Hampshire Red) who isn't laying so much. And he doesn't mess with the Dominic either.
Thinking I should get rid of him but if time is all he needs. We can try this again. I just don't like seeing him rip the combs to bleeding
How old is he? You could separate him until all girls are laying. Or pen him up with just the ones that will not let him mate. They'll teach him some manners.

How old is he? You could separate him until all girls are laying. Or pen him up with just the ones that will not let him mate. They'll teach him some manners.
He is 8 months old.
The ones not letting him mate are all laying 10 month old barred rocks. He can only catch the older hens who aren't laying.
Why do people have roosters? Seems a bit too much. He is in a bachelor pad. I am building him his own coop. He can live separately til he learns manners.
Or doesn't need to tear combs - okay w mating just don't want him to make them bleed.

He is 8 months old.
The ones not letting him mate are all laying 10 month old barred rocks. He can only catch the older hens who aren't laying.
Why do people have roosters? Seems a bit too much. He is in a bachelor pad. I am building him his own coop. He can live separately til he learns manners.
Or doesn't need to tear combs - okay w mating just don't want him to make them bleed.

What breed is the cockerel? The older females are how old?

Back
Top Bottom