Older rooster chasing younger rooster

Patriciaab668

Chirping
Jul 12, 2023
I need some help, I got a bunch of chicks this spring 4 were roosters I got rid of 3 and kept 1. Here's the issue I have an adult rooster already and he chases the new rooster all over the coop and run. The young rooster is 4 months old and a hatchery Jersey giant so i know he wont get as big as a breed GJ. I have 26 hens so plenty for both roosters and they have plenty of space the run is 10' wide 40' long and the coop is 12' wide by 15' long. Will my older rooster eventually stop once the younger one gets full grown or is this always going to be an issue?
I will add the older rooster isn't hurting him just chases him around. I really really want to keep both. Any advice is appreciated.

Things may settle down or he may continue to harass the cockerel. It's all about assuring that his DNA gets to carry on. In a free range environment such situations resolve more readily than in a pen/coop set up.
Thank you unfortunately free range isn't an option although I could possibly split the coop/run area if it comes down to it and put half the hens with 1 and the other half with the other if it comes right down to it I suppose

Roosters do not get the concept of sharing hens, nor do they understand these are mine, those are yours. In large set ups with free ranging, the roosters will often move to different territories, and different hens will follow different roos.

Having multiple roosters is always tricky, having them in confinement makes it more tricky. A lot depends on space and how you use that space. A lot of clutter will help. And a lot depends on the birds - roosters are a crap shoot.

But there is not a set of directions that if you do this, then they will be life long friends. Over the years, I have a slight theory, that Father/son, or where a young rooster grows up in an established flock, they tend to make it work...until it doesn't. There are some pretty sad posts on here, where they were both getting along just fine, and then had a knock down dragged out fight, severely injuring one or both of the birds.

They can also fight through a fence til they are bloody too.

Mrs K

Roosters do not get the concept of sharing hens, nor do they understand these are mine, those are yours. In large set ups with free ranging, the roosters will often move to different territories, and different hens will follow different roos.

Having multiple roosters is always tricky, having them in confinement makes it more tricky. A lot depends on space and how you use that space. A lot of clutter will help. And a lot depends on the birds - roosters are a crap shoot.

But there is not a set of directions that if you do this, then they will be life long friends. Over the years, I have a slight theory, that Father/son, or where a young rooster grows up in an established flock, they tend to make it work...until it doesn't. There are some pretty sad posts on here, where they were both getting along just fine, and then had a knock down dragged out fight, severely injuring one or both of the birds.

They can also fight through a fence til they are bloody too.

Mrs K
Ok thank you I'll keep an eye on them and try to figure out a plan to rehome 1 of them

Back
Top Bottom