Rooster chasing children.

h_palmer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 1, 2011
Queensland, Australia
Hi there

I have one rooster and two hens, they are all pretty much tame and my two boys pick up the hens and cuddle them all the time but "Robert" the rooster is way too fast for them.

The problem I have is my daughter (5yrs), everytime she goes outside to play and Robert is in the backyard he chases her, even all the way in the house and up the stairs to her bedroom, he did catch her once and peck her.... Now she refuses to go outside when he is out.

My daughter had a little girl friend over last week to play and Robert chased her as well, this little girl didnt show any fear and even had her back to him but he just took off after her when she ran to the swing then continued running after her after she realised he was on her heels and pecked her leg.

Is it a girl thing...... they dont do it to my boys (4yr old twins) who are a little bit more out there and scared of nothing.... although he does get a little angry if they hurt his two girls Lulu and Tiny then he goes after them but they chase him away and thats it.

Ideas on how to fix this would be great.

Regards
Heather

You could try arming your daughter with a broom or leaf rake and show her how to chase Robert. When he starts coming at her, she could chase after him with the broom. If that does not work, you need to think about getting rid of Robert. I don't think this will cure itself, and he could really hurt her.

Yes we have been talking about the soup pot for awhile now... as we are in suburbia (Brisbane, Australia) and roosters are really not welcome..... so he actually comes inside at night into a cage in the garage so when he crows at 5.45am it doesnt disturb the neighbours but it is getting to me a bit when I want a sleep-in.....

The only trouble is I dunno if he has much meat on him or to the finer point if I could actually eat him..... although my husband has been treatening to do it, it just doesnt seem to be happening on his end.... we have told the kids he is going away to a farm soon. So I guess that is really one solution.

Thanks all
Heather

cook the roo!!!!! before something serious happens...
pop.gif

I have heard there are ways you can work with an agressive rooster but I prefer to just find them new homes, complete with a warning to the new owner about the roo's temperament. They sure are strange. I once had a roo that was gentle as a lamb until I wore red around him once - he went nuts! He was a fine rooster but for that thing about the color red. They are so odd, who knows what goes on in a rooster's brain?

Mean chickens have no place around children, elderly or handicaped. Send him to freezer camp. I don't keep a mean rooster. I do have 1 that only likes me but he don't get out of his pen and the kids don't go in his. I've been spurred and have scars. I knew a man that got spurred in the face and he had to have lots of stitches.

Ever watch that movie Cold Mountain? "I despise a floggin rooster".

Quote:
I always wear crocs and I had yellow ones that the roosters just hated. They would attack my feet everytime they saw those shoes. Once I finally figured it out I quit wearing that color and no problems anymore.

Back
Top Bottom