Rooster chasing pullet, help?

igorsMistress

Labels create division.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Apr 9, 2013
My Coop
My Coop
I know, it's normal for roosters to chase the ladies. However, is this true when the pullet isn't at POL yet?

I have a rooster that's nearly 6 months old and some pullets that are laying already that are older than him. He has commandeered 3 of the 4 older girls so far. The 4th he's shown limited interest in and I've never had an egg from her even though her sisters have been laying for at leadt a couple of months.

I also have a dozen chicks that are younger than the roo, I'm estimating 14ish weeks without looking at a calendar. The rooster is chasing one of the pullets in that batch already. She runs screaming as if she's being beaten with a stick so I haven't been able to tell if he's actually hurting her, or if he's claiming her as his before any of her clutchmates do. I've seen him grab her by the tail as he chases her but she manages to get away.
Thoughts? I'm wondering, because she's so young, if he just hates her some reason.

IMO a good cock/erel doesn't try to mount a non-laying bird no matter the age.
More than just a bit of chasing is too much.
But having multiple males around can make them all behave badly.
But if he's otherwise 'good', could be something is 'wrong' with that one 14wo.
Does he bother the others in that group?

IMO a good cock/erel doesn't try to mount a non-laying bird no matter the age.
More than just a bit of chasing is too much.
But having multiple males around can make them all behave badly.
But if he's otherwise 'good', could be something is 'wrong' with that one 14wo.
Does he bother the others in that group?
That is my concern, there's something wrong with her. He doesn't chase the others, and doesn't go after this girl every time he sees her, but he has actually chased her, unusual for him. He didn't get all crazy with the older girls, but he was younger and smaller then. His hormones should be close to raging though so I'm not sure. Otherwise he's a perfect gentleman.

My only other experience like this proved to be a problem with the hen. Disappointing if that's the case now because I really like the looks of this girl.

Positive she's a she?
As long as the chasee is not injured, I'd let it work out.
Pretty sure yes. Small comb and wattles compared to her brothers who have large combs. Hers is not as dark or large, matches her sister in size and color. Could be a sleeper I suppose.

I'm going to wait and see what happens.

Hopefully things sort out for you IM. I know this waiting game can be rough especially when the pullet is screaming bloody murder. I'm sure things will sort out!

Any pics of this pullet? I'm sure she's gorgeous if you have your eye on her 😁

Hopefully things sort out for you IM. I know this waiting game can be rough especially when the pullet is screaming bloody murder. I'm sure things will sort out!

Any pics of this pullet? I'm sure she's gorgeous if you have your eye on her 😁
She reminds me of her mother who is white with large black spots like a cow and has a Cream Legbar tail which I love.
20200120_092058.jpg
20200120_092401.jpg
20200120_092353.jpg

Here's her brother, same hatch and parents
20200120_092138.jpg

Back
Top Bottom