Rooster chasing pullet, help?

You mention "her brothers". The roo may be "claiming" her for his flock before the younger roosters can mate her. I have about 50 chickens and 5 roos of different ages. Until they all decided which hens belonged to which roo and formed Their own smaller flocks within the larger flock ,There was a lot of excessive chasing and jumping on the hens to the point that some were actually injured. I got chicken jackets to prevent injuries and allowed them to heal. After that once they form the flocks the chasing an excessive mating stopped.

You mention "her brothers". The roo may be "claiming" her for his flock before the younger roosters can mate her. I have about 50 chickens and 5 roos of different ages. Until they all decided which hens belonged to which roo and formed Their own smaller flocks within the larger flock ,There was a lot of excessive chasing and jumping on the hens to the point that some were actually injured. I got chicken jackets to prevent injuries and allowed them to heal. After that once they form the flocks the chasing an excessive mating stopped.
I agree there's chasing to be expected. I just didn't think a roo would be after her already since she still has a while before she should lay. This roo is older but not fully mature.
The brothers are starting to tidbit the sisters a little bit though so it could be the big boy wants her for himself as you say.
Thank you for sharing your experience! How many girls do each of your boys pick?

The numbers vary but there seems to be 3-10 with each roo at times but other times the hens seem to be independent . I have noticed that since the roos have their "girls" they all seem to be integrating better with less fighting and more feeding together. I am not sure the girls do not move between the flocks at times.

The numbers vary but there seems to be 3-10 with each roo at times but other times the hens seem to be independent . I have noticed that since the roos have their "girls" they all seem to be integrating better with less fighting and more feeding together. I am not sure the girls do not move between the flocks at times.
Interesting. I guess we'll see how things work out. Thank you for the information!

What is your housing like, space wise?

I have 2 coops : one with arched walls 6 foot high at the center that is 9' x 16' with 2 roosts that run the full 16 feet on each side ( so 4 roosts 16 feet long) . There are 7 nest boxes that are on the ground under the roosts with "poop boards" between the nests and roosts, which are about 4 feet off the ground. There is ventilation from one end to the other with the north end being a door that can be closed the the other end with an automatic chicken door. The other smaller coop is only about 4 ' tall and measures 10' x10' with vertical walls , only 2 roosts running across the back side and the rest used by goats for bedding . The smaller one has hay on the ground and I just scrap it out when it collects too much poop. The smaller one has 2 doors that open the entire(north) back end and the other end ( south )with 2 smaller doors that can be closed .

Back
Top Bottom