Rooster Chat

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cluckcluckluke, Jul 8, 2014.

1. cabinchicky

cabinchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    I don't blame you. Had to remove a bantam EE for the same thing. My other two roos are scared of us still thankfully. Each has a set of spurs over an inch and half long. Mom(me) has been putting anti peck on the standard EE tail so he stays clear. He does not like to be held or touched and has learned I won't take his crap. I do think he curses at me when I do it, but my understanding of chicken lingo is not that good yet. Good luck and hope you have better luck with other males.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  2. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    I have 2 cockerels. The Buff Laced Polish, Einstein was my free mystery chick. He's been crowing since June. He's the head cockerel as he matured early. My other is Elvis, a Salmon Faverolles. I thought he'd never grow feathers as he was so far behind the others. He finally caught up and now is a huge, lovely bird that enjoys his duties of taking care of and mating with the girls. However, Elvis never crows. Is it normal for only one to crow? I have roosters because I love the sound of them crowing. I'd like to hear it in stereo.

3. uzisuzuki

uzisuzuki Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    Colorado

From what I've read, some just take a longer time to start crowing & sometimes the subordinate one won't crow. When my cockerel started trying to kill my rooster, the rooster stopped crowing for awhile. He actually just started crowing again now that the two are separated.

4. cabinchicky

cabinchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    My EE males are in the same coop and run with 15 hens. The standard is the boss, but they get along and have since they were 2 days old. They both break up issues with the hens but if one hen fighting is the other males they chase her off. My LF Cochin male is in a run beside theirs and so far only stink eyes have been exchanged. Stumpy should start crowing in Oct or Nov hopefully. So I figure then the posturing across the fence will start. The females peck through fence now and then but only the few feisty ones till the roos step in.

5. uzisuzuki

Oct 30, 2014
    Colorado
    [​IMG]
    Here are my 2 boys. Odysseus (on the left) and his son Memnoch (on the right). I was surprised when I finally got them close enough for a comparison picture that Mem wasn't that much taller than Ody, like I thought he was. Mem definitely has more weight on him and looks like he got a lot of the Polish genes from his mother (Golden Laced Polish named Athena).

I can't remember if this was answered in this thread or not, but do the cockerels ever calm down in regards to fighting other males? Mem's finally learned to be gentler on the girls and to leave the Polish hens alone when they screech at him (I also have a pullet Phoenix bantam that shoos him off the Polish), but there doesn't seem to be any change in his behavior towards Ody. If I'm not out there and they're near each other, he will chase him down, corner him, and then proceed to try to kill him. I'm just wondering if that's going to be a forever thing or if that will eventually simmer down as well. I don't have a problem with keeping the separated and rotating who gets to hang with the girls and who gets to hang with the free ranging peacock, I'm just curious. Also, if this has been answered already, I apologize for asking again.

6. MadamPoofyBrow

MadamPoofyBrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2015
    My Polish boys are like that while young and then calm down and coexist. What's their other breed? Sebright? Polish tend to get very laid back with age. They're beautiful boys, and I hope they start getting along soon!

1 person likes this.
  7. uzisuzuki

Oct 30, 2014
    Colorado
    It is Sebright! Thank you very much for the response! I'm still under a year of having chickens, so I'm so green about everything to do with them. I appreciate all the advice and info I get here. :)

8. MadamPoofyBrow

MadamPoofyBrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2015
    This is my fifth year with chickens. My first was terrifying. But I got through it, thanks to BYC! People here are so helpful! Your boys are beautiful, and I love their names!

1 person likes this.
  9. PerfectPlumage

PerfectPlumage Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one roo, a 6 month old silkie. The other chickens I think are all hens. He hasn't started crowing but he is definitely a rooster. Big, long streamers coming out of his crest and he struts around. He also has a pretty big tail coming in. The thing is, he has a single comb and so does my hen. Don't silkies have walnut combs? And when will he start crowing? I am knew to silkies.

10. PerfectPlumage

PerfectPlumage Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, and, do silkie roosters get spurs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by