Rooster Chat

Pics
I have one roo, a 6 month old silkie. The other chickens I think are all hens. He hasn't started crowing but he is definitely a rooster. Big, long streamers coming out of his crest and he struts around. He also has a pretty big tail coming in. The thing is, he has a single comb and so does my hen. Don't silkies have walnut combs? And when will he start crowing? I am knew to silkies.
I've had Silkies for four years, and they vary greatly. They should have walnut combs, unless they are mixed or just poor quality...they're still great birds though! I had one Silkie boy crow at two weeks old. Another didn't start til eleven months. The average time I have them start is seven months.

As for spurs, I have four year old roosters with barely a nub. I think most Silkies don't get them. One of my 4yo boys has HUGE spurs though. I'll get a pic later, they're much bigger than any of my clean-legged breeds.

Also meant to ad that I had a Polish rooster who lived to be three and couldn't crow. He tried, but made no sound. It passed onto his son-now three, and still going strong- who can't crow a peep. What a wonderful line of roosters
lau.gif

As for spurs, I have four year old roosters with barely a nub. I think most Silkies don't get them. One of my 4yo boys has HUGE spurs though. I'll get a pic later, they're much bigger than any of my clean-legged breeds.
Yeah, right now all mine has is a little tiny bump were his spurs should be. Lol, one day I went to shut them in the coop and it looked like he was covered with blood. I was pretty worried then once I got a closer look I found it was poke berry juice. Silly roo, he pranked me.

Saffron, my Silkie with a huge spur. Yeah, he's missing a toe. Lost it as a teen when he got in a fight with a Polish rooster, who walked away with half a comb. Roosters...

Gustav, an example of all the other Silkie roosters. He and Saffron are both four.

Silkie roosters are supposed to get spurs, and they can have an extra set or two. I believe they do not come in very big, though.
I've never heard of them having extra spurs...but the ones they do have are usually very tiny. Maybe some lines do have extra spurs though. That sounds really cool.

Back
Top Bottom