Rooster Chat

Pics
This is my Rooster Prince ! I have 2 roosters right now but one is only 2 months old. Hoping as he gets older Prince just accepts him into the flock. Prince is so very kind and accepting. I've tossed him many obstacles like Pheasants, Quail, Young cockerel, and a mother hen with 3 babies and he still hasn't hurt anyone. Maybe a quick peck and he's over it. He was sold to us as a Americana but this site has told me he is a production quality Faverolle. You can't see the feathers on his feet in these pictures for some reason but he does have some, then some of his offspring were born with feathered feet so I'm thinking this might be right. I've kept 2 of his kids but both are clean legged.

So, this is my second roo, Bruno ! He is Prince's son and quite the looker. I hatched him in my incubator and I love him to death. He runs right up to me and if I squat down he'll sit on my shoulder.
This is him when he was younger and in his ugly stage.

And this is him now
love.gif

Unfortunately Brunos behaviors will often lead to them attacking you as they reach sexually maturity, you are letting him dominate you. Hopefully it doesn't happen for you. I would stop encouraging forward behaviors and not allow him to jump on you. He is a pretty boy.

Any other mature roosters around? I have three young 5 month old Buff O cockerels who have yet to crow. The three Welsummer/Buff O cockerels from the same hatch started crowing at 12-13 weeks. They are with a flock master who is 16 months old. Sometimes in the presence of more dominate roosters, junior roosters don't crow. or crow later.

I have 3 3mos olds and only 2 are crowing (they started before they were 2mos old). The one who isn't crowing is an Ayam Cemani while the other 2 are bantam breeds. He's not acting like a rooster yet, so I figured he was slower to mature than the others. Although, I'm pretty happy I don't have 5 roosters crowing right now. 4 feels like more than enough! :D

Unfortunately Brunos behaviors will often lead to them attacking you as they reach sexually maturity, you are letting him dominate you. Hopefully it doesn't happen for you. I would stop encouraging forward behaviors and not allow him to jump on you. He is a pretty boy.
I guess you're right, just hard when you've raised them. He has never shown aggression toward me but you better believe if he ever did, I would 110% put him in his place.And Thank you ! :) He definitely is a very pretty boy.

Ever since I first hatched him, I've been sitting him on my shoulder and he's loved it. I guess maybe now is the time I should stop encouraging it. He's growing up.
hit.gif

Ever since I first hatched him, I've been sitting him on my shoulder and he's loved it. I guess maybe now is the time I should stop encouraging it. He's growing up. :hit
Not every friendly rooster becomes aggressive, but it is a common theme for those that are. Maybe making a few changes will keep you as top rooster and he will respect that. They are so sweet as babies, but surging hormones can make them not think clearly.

I'm glad my peafowl have taken over keeping the calm in the overall flock. I was in a car accident 2yrs ago & walking/running isn't my best skill anymore. :D

I have back issues and can relate to you. What are the space requirements for a mating pair of peafowl? We are thinking of adding them to our one flock just to assist my disabled rooster.

Mine either uzisuzuki. I injured my back 3 years ago and suffer from chronic pain so bending and chasing isn't high on my list of favorite things to do either. That's why I just referee and hope they don't get too serious in their power struggles to the point that I have to dive in and separate them before they exhaust themselves. 

Maybe I should try to convince my DH that we need a pair of peafowl to keep the chickens in line....nah, he'd never fall for that.:D

BTW your birds are beautiful.

My hubby is agreeing on peafowl after the guineas are gone. So next spring I will look for a pair. Keep asking him ya never know.

I have 15 roosters that I am battling to seperate from my hens. So far I am losing and trying to out think them for my hens sake because they are getting tore up. I am trying to fatten them up enough to kill and have split the pen to help accomplish this.

I have 15 roosters that I am battling to seperate from my hens. So far I am losing and trying to out think them for my hens sake because they are getting tore up. I am trying to fatten them up enough to kill and have split the pen to help accomplish this.
Most breeds require a long time to fatten up unless they are meat breeds, I would start butchering the most obnoxious and work my way down. I don't believe it's worth the feed to keep them for a few extra pounds, not to mention the stress on your hens.

Back
Top Bottom